Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilting on your domestic machine

Free handed FMQ an entire quilt has not given me the results I want. As a result, I have been using walking foot patterns (2" quilting grid, either on point or vertical). However, at 2", I am finding the quilting to be too loose and want a tighter quilted look. I know that a 1/2" quilt density will still give you a soft quilt.

For all those who quilt their own quilts, what type of quilting has worked out well for you? I have thought of doing 1/2 to 1" stippling using a stencil as its hard for me to get good looking and consistent stippling shapes on a domestic. I am attaching a picture of a test quilt using a this walking foot 2" grid with my serpentine stitch (think its too loose).

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2552[1].jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	158901  

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilting on your domestic machine

That's enough to hold it together. I don't remember any batting requiring less than 2 inches apart. I think your serpentine quilting looks very nice. Serpentine stitch is very forgiving, straight stitching shows every wobble!

Here's an easy way to machine bind your quilt:
    https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...flange-binding
    Last edited by Vonnie; May 4th, 2019 at 02:03 PM.
    Vonnie

3. Thanks Daniel thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Two inch spacing is adequate quilting. If you want some ideas for using your DSM for quilting, watch the most current episode on The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson & Ricky Tims. It's episode #2409 with Christa Watson. There probably are videos on YouTube that also would be helpful. It seems to me that you're off to a great start.

5. Thanks Daniel thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the serpentine stitch is a lifesaver!. Also, I was using a single layer of wool batting on this test quilt and it just doesn't have the loft. Even though double cotton is kinda weighty, I did a test another test quilt using 2 layers of cotton bat, and it had a much more substantial feel and look, still using a 2" density. Here is a picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2554[1].jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	158902

Thanks for the feedback.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, I have watched the quilt show at someone's house and its good. Bluprint has a lot of walking foot classes too. Just have to commit to the monthy sub fee.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of different walking foot quilting ideas here

http://blog.petitdesignco.com/2012/1...-quilting.html

I am a big fan of wavy lines using your walking foot. Looks especially good with a variegated thread. I do the wavy lines at 1" spacing only along the long axis.

Kick it up one more notch with Leah Days "Flowing Lines" motif. Walking foot friendly.

https://freemotionproject.com/2010/0...ing-lines.html
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

9. Thanks Daniel thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say Welcome and your quilting and quilt look nice. I use the serpentine stitch on my dsm and on my sit down quilter I'm trying to get better at stippling. I'm not a natural artistic person, so it is hard on me. But then someone told me that practice will make everything easier, so I'm practicing more and not trying to be perfect, but to be consistent.

11. Thanks Daniel thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the feedback. I will be checking out the links provided and will post pictures of my two quilt tops when I am done quilting them (65" x 65" and 75" x 80"). I feel confident using my walking foot but want to try using my stippling stencil to get perfectly shaped and consistent stipples.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of trying to be perfect free yourself and quilt all kinds of different designs, swirls, stipples, eights, circles in circles in circles, and even hide script names of kids or family all around the quilt (they will have to search for them on the quilt), pets names too. It is soooo much fun, rather than trying to make everything perfect. Check out Taffy Pulls on the internet, he breaks all the rules and has fun with his quilts. Drop the feed dogs and go for it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jan2018 017.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	158908

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

that is really cool
    Quote Originally Posted by surfergirl View Post
    Instead of trying to be perfect free yourself and quilt all kinds of different designs, swirls, stipples, eights, circles in circles in circles, and even hide script names of kids or family all around the quilt (they will have to search for them on the quilt), pets names too. It is soooo much fun, rather than trying to make everything perfect. Check out Taffy Pulls on the internet, he breaks all the rules and has fun with his quilts. Drop the feed dogs and go for it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jan2018 017.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	158908

15. Thanks ncgrammie thanked for this post