Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP May 3 - 9, 2019

Sounds like we've had some wins and some aggravations this last week. I can relate to both.

In addition to quilting, I also do needlework - counted thread embroidery (and some surface embroidery) of various kinds. I ordered some linen online for a project that has some pretty specific cutting directions for the parts. And the linen was cut so off grain that not all the pieces will fit!!!! Seriously off grain - if you cut along a thread on both ends, the opposite end is well over an inch of waste. That's almost three inches of fabric lost over the entire project. I'm so disappointed.

I've had this happen with quilting fabric, too. But at least with that, you can put the 'true up cut' into the strings bin and use it elsewhere. I'm rather soured on this project right now, so I'm putting it aside until I hear back from the vendor if they will let me return this cut of linen for refund.

On the other hand, the hand piecing of the Carpenter's Wheel star block is going well, all of the inner background is cut and attached, and I have a plan for the next round of colored diamonds. I keep spreading the block out to admire how it is going together.

Hopefully your projects are giving you more of the second feeling than the former!!!

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP May 3 - 9, 2019

8 1/2 blocks of 12 blocks Enchanted Garden fused so far. These are not sewn down yet. Sewing them down is going to take me as long as it took to assemble and fuse them (at least)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5003.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	158890

Here are some pictures of the sadistically small pieces the designer choose to use

Name:	Block7.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	158891 6 rice size pieces sitting on a dime for block 7

Name:	Block9.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	158892 14 smaller than rice size pieces sitting on a dime for block 9. Imagine trying to peel of the backing, place these, and fuse them without them moving. Boo

Making good progress on the house renovations. Two Shumard oak trees planted, first light fixture replaced, replacements for four other lights and the ceiling fan acquired, and added a containerized garden for the back patio to go with the pergola. Gives it a Mediterranean feel. Container was the quickest way to get my garden back. Here is a picture of my container patio garden. Love it.

Name:	Garden.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	158893

Counting down. In two and half weeks I will be at the Missouri Star quilt academy in Hamilton. This will be me first visit. Yeah
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP May 3 - 9, 2019

Well I finally finished piecing the hockey quilt backing for my GS. The front is a huge astronaut panel. Now to sandwich and quilt or being to LA. It is 80 x 96. It definitely won't be done for his birthday next week. I handsewed the binding and labels on 2 VQC and made & attached a few other labels on quilts I finished this winter.

I am helping my friend Saturday at a fabric mflea market. I have sold in the past. I will bring a few items.

I have many small projects that I need to tackle next week, a VQC meeting and deliver q quilt to a cancer patient. We are having some exterior renovations on house this week. Same time as my massage. Not changing that appointment. I also need to find time for a haircut and manicure.

Still wet and damp,, but we are supposed to have a nice warmer weekend.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

5. Thanks threadbndr thanked for this post