Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Question Poly Pellets w/ heating pad

I am looking for some additional (technical) specs for the Poly Pellets that are used in weighted quilts. My goal is to make a small lap pad that is weighted and use it to apply light pressure on top of a heading pad. What I haven't been able to find is whether the highest heat setting on a standard heating pad (135-140F) would cause the pellets to soften or melt (or smell?) at that temp.

Other than fish tank gravel (long shot, but I thought about it) does anyone know what I could use in the pad to add the weight needed, still be washable, and not be a heat conductor (can't use metal bi-bi's I would think since they retain/pass heat too well through the pad)?

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Poly Pellets w/ heating pad

I've always heard you shouldn't use weight on a heat pad, you can burn yourself.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Kensington brings up a good point, and I'll leave that for you to decide.

My thought about the Poly Pellets is this: You could built a quilt sandwich with extra layers of batting as insulation. Sort of like this:
    Quilt Top
    Pellets
    Batting
    Batting
    Batting
    Batting
    Quilt Back

Would that help?

I did find this website: https://plasticpellets4fun.com/blogs...lastic-pellets that seemed to have a lot of information.

On the same website, I looked at one of the many types of pellets they sell. This one has a melting point over 200 degrees! I'm sure that's hotter than any heating pad. https://plasticpellets4fun.com/produ...ghted-blankets
    Last edited by GuitarGramma; April 30th, 2019 at 08:44 PM.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kensington View Post
    I've always heard you shouldn't use weight on a heat pad, you can burn yourself.
    That's the reason it's bad to lay/sit on a heating pad, so I lay it on top of me and then usually just take a pillow and sit it on that. A pillow is less than ~2 pounds and is just the right amount of pressure to make sure the pad is making good contact. The hard part is that sitting or laying with a heating pad AND pillow on my belly is not exactly easy - hence the need for a small pad. My GI doctor (IBD sufferer - the heat helps with cramping) says it's ok to use the heating pad like this. It's actually much better than some of the anti-cramping meds I could be taking otherwise.

Thanks for that link Toni - 260F melt point should be perfect!