Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Does anyone else have problems with their Pfaff Grand quilter 18.8,

My encoders do not always roll so I have skipped stitches and I can't seem to keep the tension on the bobbin thread to stay the same throughout the quilting session.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does anyone else have problems with their Pfaff Grand quilter 18.8,

Do you have dust or lint on them?

3. Thanks Dannmayer thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have this machine and it gave me fits! But I got an upgrade to Quilt EZ Perfect Stitch, which included many wonderful upgrades, and I have very few problems since then. Spring loaded encoders, new light, handles, computer board, servo motor, rear handles and laser for pantos and a 7" Android screen make this machine work great. It's a machine that stitches well, but needed the upgrade to make it a more trouble free machine.

If you are on Facebook, there is a Tin Lizzie/King Quilter User group. The Pfaff Grandquilter 18.8 is a Tin Lizzie clone, and the advice the members give is really helpful.

SewingMachinesPlus.com carry this upgrade. I had a shop in Raytown, Mo do the work on my machine, it was worth every penny.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaned, oiled, threaded and leveled, this is ongoing problem for years. thanks for your suggestion though.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I will look into that. Thank you

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have you looked into getting a new bobbin case? I got a second one for about $40. The idea was to set it up for different weight bobbin threads. But I use So Fine almost exclusively in my bobbins, soi I haven't actually used the second one. But not having the encoders roll smoothly and consistently is a worse problem than tension issues. That is what led me to have to get the upgrade, because the stitching was uneven. My machine would speed up to top speed and I would have to stop quilting. These types of problems are so frustrating!
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; April 30th, 2019 at 08:04 AM.