Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Question Warm n' Tater vs. regular batting - can you tell a difference?

I've been making microwavable bowls, and have been using the Wrap and Zap or Warm 'n Tater batting. I came across a pile of batting while in my sewing room, and am not sure what type it is. Is there a way to tell the difference between the kind of batting you can microwave and regular old Warm and Natural? If so, how? They look exactly the same!

Thanks!
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Warm n' Tater vs. regular batting - can you tell a difference?

I don't know but I would try calling the company that makes Warm & Natural. This seems like a question they would get asked alot. If you find out, would you please come back and tell us?

3. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading somewhere warm & natural has poly in the scrim, in which case it would probably catch fire in the microwave. I wouldn't use an unknown batt in the bowls. Maybe you could make matching placemats with it?
    Heather

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Looked the contents of Warm n Natural up. Product description says it is 100% cotton fibers. In the Specifications:
    12% Polypropylene, Cotton Blend
    Checking on polypropylene - Most microwavable plastic food containers are going to be polypropylene. While in general polypropylene is considered to be microwavable, again you would need to check with the manufacture before using in the microwave. ... PET and polycarbonate should not be used for microwaving as they tend to absorb heat.
    I have gone to strictly using Wrap and Zap for the microwavable bowl cosies. Walmart sells it online / pick up in store for a great price.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I have left overs of the wrap and zap, I in a label on it before I stick it in the closet.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MHG Winnower View Post
    I have gone to strictly using Wrap and Zap for the microwavable bowl cosies. Walmart sells it online / pick up in store for a great price.
    Ditto MHG Winnover, all I use is Wrap and zap. I broke down and bought a whole bolt of it.....lots of bowls and potato bags in my future!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carol336 View Post
    Ditto MHG Winnover, all I use is Wrap and zap. I broke down and bought a whole bolt of it.....lots of bowls and potato bags in my future!!!!
    Well, you are not alone, Carol! I have a full bolt sitting in my sewing room. I've never made a "potato bag".....do they really work?
    Love the cosies. and they make great little gifts.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown