Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frequent thread changing during quilting.

I usually pick one thread colour for my quilting but with my current quilt I'd really like to use a couple of different colored threads. I am planning to do matchstick quilting so want the threads to match the fabrics. The quilt top is predominantly white with some greys and bright blues. My bobbin thread can stay the same, I will just need to switch the top thread occassionally. Are there any tips or tricks for doing this? In some places it may only be for half a dozen stitches, in other places...a few inches at most. Any advice gratefully received. (and no, I don't want to use variegated thread.)

2. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Frequent thread changing during quilting.

I have used 5-6 different thread colours on one quilt top, but when I used a colour, I did all the parts of the quilt using that colour, then switched thread. I didn't have small section 1/2 doz stitches) like yours in one colour.

Maybe start with the thread colour that is the most used, working down to the least used. I am certain someone here will have other ideas.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

4. Thanks quiltingaway, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I do frequent thread changes I do it like Suzanne does. Do all of one color, then switch to the next thread color and do all of that color. If the bobbin runs out that is also a good time to switch to a different thread color and go back and do small sections that are a different thread color. If it was just a small section I would free motion quilt it so I could easily change directions.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

6. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a longarm so I also quilt all of one color first. If you are using a regular sewing machine, it's a lot easier to change color when you want to. If you are afraid that you might forget to quilt that tiny area, then go ahead and change thread color.
    Vonnie

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou everyone.