Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default cutting hand quilted quilts

A friend has asked me to divide one of her mother's Sunbonnet Sue quilts and make lap quilts for her and her children. I'm concerned about cutting this because it is hand quilted. I wonder if anyone has done this and if anyone thinks that if I sew around the square if it will keep the hand quilting from coming out.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: cutting hand quilted quilts

Maybe do a double row of stay stitching before adding the binding. If the quilts won’t be used or laundered much they’d probably be okay.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

wow, cut a quilt. sad thing to do. see if you can talk her out of that first. If not, sigh, do rows of stitches on either side of area where you would divide the quilt. that will hold things best it can. no guarantee.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would do a double row of stitches. Make sure you tell them to wash the resized quilts on a delicate cycle, no agitation. It is too bad you don't have a sample one that you could experiment with. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I posted your question to a fb group I belong to. I received 7 comments, this was the best I think :

"Trying to think how I would feel if one of my SBS quilts was cut into 4. Not so happy with that thought. But to answer your question, stitch a double line along where it's to be cut, and then cut down the middle of the stitching. After it's cut run another line of stitching along the edge with a tiny stitch hopefully the two rows of stitching will catch the quilting so it doesn't ravel."

Others commented that the hand quilting would eventually ravel out if the original quilt was cut down. Was hoping for a response from someone who actually had done this, but did not get one. I will keep tabs on the post and PM you if something pops up.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad you can’t talk her into having this quilt be a 'traveling’ one that takes turns traveling to each family’s homes. Will she understand if the cutting just creates a big mess? Not rying to be negative but I wouldn’t want to risk it.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

A quilt appraiser or historian might know but they might also talk you out of doing it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you do cut this quilt, I would think that the new binding would hold the hand quilting. Probably make the stitches on the binding nice and tight. It's the best you can do if your friend really wants this cut.

And welcome to the forum!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've done it... the quilt was worn in Bad shape, she had cut them first into odd shapes. I squared them up and alliqued them to background fabric... made nine patch blocks in coordinating fabrics... making 3 large laps out of 1 quilt. You came make the body of the quilt and border them out for bigger size.