Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP April 26 - May 2, 2019

Looks like everyone is having a productive week. I need to do some trimming of edges in the back yard and rake out the street gutter at some point over the weekend, and I will be caught up on yard work! It's not easy to get that first bout of spring yard work done. Other than that, I badly need to do laundry this weekend.

I am still trying to figure out backing for the little wall quilt - Christmas Cabin Stars. I sort of want to do something Christmas themed, and there just isn't a lot in the stores for that at this time of year. I may be forced to shop online (not a hardship LOL).

And I stopped by JoAnns over my lunch hour and picked up template plastic. I thought I had some in the stash and there may very well be, but it's not coming to light, and it's not like it can go bad if I buy extra! I will make the templates and get started hand piecing the last block for "It was the 80s" this week. I'm going to be so glad to get started putting this top together - my first asymmetrical quilt!

How are things in your world?

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP April 26 - May 2, 2019

It's been very wet here, so much so that there has been a state of emergency, army called in to help with sandbagging along the river. This is surpassing the 2017 flood, and many affected have just completed the repairs from then are being hit again. I'm not much help at the sailing club, can't do heavy lifting of sandbags. Luckily we are far away from the flood zone, and high up.

Friday I went wih 3 GFs to a quilt show. It was fun and we had a good day laughing and giggling. These are 3 of my friends that didn't know each other. A good mix. I did make a few small purchases and brought the ladies to one of my favorite LQS. They have the largest selection of backing fabrics anywhere. Today I'm off with 3 other GFs to a women's show.

I'm hoping to get more quilting this week. Still working on the hockey quilt slowly. I found out that the lady who was to receive a VQC quilt is in a coma and has only few days, her family has asked that we pass the quilt on to another. Sad. We fast tracked this one, in 4 days. The need is so great.

Looking forward to playing in the flower beds, maybe in a few weeks.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had fun yesterday at a guild sew day with more to come today. I sewed 480 hst but have not pressed or squared, a monumental job that wil get done a little at a time.
    I also cut out some jelly rolls for yesterday's video and made 3 blocks for another quilt. I will see how much more I can accomplish today.
    Of course there was lots of fun talking with all our other sewers.

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Spring yard work in the new house is a monumental task. The house was a rental for the six previous years. So far we have removed 8 13 gallon garbage bags filled with nothing but giant dandelions. Oh my aching back. We purchased a 9'x11' pergola at Aldis for the back yard and got it assembled. It is really well designed and a great bargain.

Quilt wise I am working on the Enchanted Garden BOM from Keepsake quilting. It is beautiful but sadistically designed. Many pieces smaller than a pencil lead and no overlapping pieces. Apparently whomever designed it was not at all familiar with fusible designs. I am having to assemble it with tweezers and Elmers washable school glue to temporarily hold the pieces in place until I can move it to the ironing board and fuse it.

Here is the strip piece strata used for the piano key borders.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4977.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	158796

Here are the twelve blocks. So pretty.

Name:	100_4988.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	158797

Here is my progress so far on block one. Many block have pieces even smaller than this. Tweezers. Grr.

Name:	100_4981.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	158798
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

7. Thanks Claire Hallman, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Denise, I so admire you sewing tiny pieces and you do such a wonderful job. Beautiful work!

I have been waiting on the backing to come in the mail so I can finish up a quilt. In the mean time I am cleaning my sewing room and a closet under the stairs. Oh the dust bunnies ! and the dog hair even though she never comes in here. When I first started quilting I bought a ton of markdown cheap fabric . Its not doing anyone a bit of good , I don't want to sew it, and its taking up valuable space. I was going to take it to Hannah Home and donate it. DD says mom I never turn down any fabric , but you have to wait until SL is out of town to bring it over. The man needs go somewhere cause its now in my den! She says it will be good for Kaylee to practice on.

Name:	thepile.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	158799
    Last edited by TMP; April 27th, 2019 at 03:11 PM.

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did get a few more blocks done, got a chance to use the seam ripper on one, too. I was packing up to come home, decided to count the blocks and realized one had the four corner segments turned, aaaarrrggg, it will be resewn today and then on to squaring a few hst for the prior project. Swapping from one to the other keeps me happy.

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on some Linus quilts. We received some donated samples and so far have made a log cabin scrappy quilt and a simple blue and white quilt (had to use some of my stash too), both have been sandwiched and ready for quilting, will probably just SITD as they are urgently needed.

I also got some donated batiks samples from Hoffman, not really children's colours but suitable for older teenager, the only problem is that there isn't really enough to make a larger quilt suitable for the age group so I'll have to put my thinking cap on for some designs which don't need too many seams. I'll probably have to put some of my quilting cotton with it to did it out, always assuming I can match it. Fun times ahead!!

Hope everyone has a great week.

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I got to sew a few more blocks of the hockey backing. I have 2 rows of each of top ones shown. It needs to be longer so have not quite thought it all ]out. I'm also not sure about the strips I put between the 3 large blocks. It's the correct width, but maybe I should make in solid blue. Opinions please?

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	158820 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	158819

Denise I love your pattern. Jason Yenter Design by In The Beginning?

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post

Denise I love your pattern. Jason Yenter Design by In The Beginning?
    Yes. It is a pain in the butt. I hate assembling a pattern with tweezers. Sewing the tiny pieces down will be another nightmare. Probably will have to add a stabilizer to every block. I will never dare to wash it. Double grr.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post