Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Friday Trivia: Denali National Park 🏞

Designated in February 1917, Alaska's Denali National Park was the first to be established after the founding of the National Park Service in August 1916.

Attachment 158790

The park was established largely to boost tourism that would sustain the railroad being built in the area of what was then called Mount McKinley.

For the naturalists who led the campaign to create the park, the preservation of the area's natural beauty and its wildlife — especially the Dall sheep — was paramount.

Attachment 158789

They also wanted the mountain to retain its Native American name, Denali, meaning "The Great One."

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Granny Fran thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Friday Trivia: Denali National Park 🏞

Fascinating. I think I remember knowing some of this at one time. I need to research it for fun. Thanks for sharing
    Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Daisy Rae" - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2.

4. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I visited Denali Park 16 years ago. We visited there in summer and I photographed the mountain at 11:30 at night and the sun was still shining on it! We were staying in an RV, and as I walked back from the bathhouse one day, a grey wolf was walking down the road toward me. He looked at me and turned and headed for the woods! Lots of good memories from that trip.

6. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you ever have an opportunity to go to Alaska and see Denali take it. It is a very beautiful state ( they have some neat quilt shops there too LOL) I saw the Northern Lights there in Sept. Worth staying up for. So beautiful and Sept isn't even the peak season for the Lights.

8. Thanks Star lover, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post