Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batting

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Batting

Do you purchase your batting packaged or from those big rolls like at Joanns and what do you do with all your excess batting?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Batting

I prefer a roll but don't have a source [won't shop at J] so I order from Connecting threads when they have a sale. I usually buy queen size and use any excess in another quilt by putting pieces together with either a zig zag or binding fuse tape.

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have never shopped at a Joann's. My LA quilter orders batting once a year for herself & for quilting friends. I ordered a roll through her. She gets it from Hobbs. You can get a roll freighted directly to your house. There are numerous on line sources.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I buy a roll of 80/20 batting and put the leftovers together with fusible batting tape or a zigzag stitch to use in donation quilts.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I whip stitch batting together for smaller quilts like baby quilts.

I bought my last roll of batting (Hobba 80/10) from Amazon.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I buy rolls from, well, Joann's when there's a good coupon or a good sale. I've long bought Warm and White, but recently heard good things about Toasty Cotton. Toasty Cotton went on a dynamite sale, so I bought a roll since I'm running low on Warm and White.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have been buying batting by the package. I bought my first roll from Amazon and its still in the box it was shipped in. I want to use the packages I have before I open it. I am hoping that by using the roll batting I can cut it closer to the size of the top and have less waste.

I also use a zig zag stitch on the large scraps. I don't like to have more than one seam in the batting, so I limit it to two pieces. I haven't had any problems with pieced batting. When the quilt is complete I can't tell if the batting was pieced or not. I don't make a lot place mats or table runners but pieces of batting could be used for them.
    Last edited by TMP; April 23rd, 2019 at 04:43 AM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I buy polyester batting and Warm and Toasty from Joanns when they are on sale. All the scraps of poly I rotary cut into small pieces and stuff pillows (saw this on youtube). I also buy the package poly in twin or king from WalMart which comes out the best deal on all.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used to buy the batting by the package but DH treated me to a roll. I zigzag smaller pieces for Linus quilts and use small pieces for bags, placemats etc

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I buy Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 batting in the package when Connecting Thread has their batting sale and free shipping. I get a great value this way and my batting is easy to store. I almost always buy the queen size even though I rarely make a quilt that large. But any leftover is put back in the bag and used on future projects. And if needed, it's easy to piece the batting pieces together when the leftovers are too small to use on their own.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

12. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post