Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with the Man sewing Gear Quilt

Hi everyone,

I attempted the gear quilt by Rob of Man Sewing and what a disaster I have on my hands. I bought the Heat n Bond Lite paperbacked fusible, followed the direction exactly as stated in the package and my gear appliques wouldn't stick. Because of the small spaces in the gears, I couldn't zigzag or blanket stitch, so I attempted FMQ. Total disaster! My stitching was not straight, the edges frayed and the large gears have bubbles.

I was making this for my son. He is a Master Auto Technician for Mercedes and at the end of September he will become a first time father, I was hoping to have this completed as a Dad gift for their baby shower in mid July.

If I do hand applique, I would have to do 12 small gears and 7 large gears. Lots of sewing and time is getting short.

The question is, should I just send it for quilting and have them quilt the surface of the gears to hide the bubbles or start from scratch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gears resized.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	158706  

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with the Man sewing Gear Quilt

I'm bumping this up so maybe some of our appliquers will see it. I wish I knew enough to help you out.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Raw edge strait stitches, which will fray a bit after washing/drying, might be a good look. I would try a glue like Stitch Fix to help adhere the gears to the background. Then I'd send it off for quilting which could address the bubbles if you're not able to get under them with the Stitch Fix

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Raw edge appliqué will fray when the quilt is washed. It will also fray if you topstitch too close to the edge. I recommend a zig-zag or satin stitch if this is an issue for you.

Multiple layers of heat n bond have a tendency to get stiff. If your machine has a smaller throat, manipulating the quilt through it as you stitch can cause the heat n bond to buckle and sometimes pop up. This is why I fuse and stitch appliqué one painstaking layer at a time.

Sorry I don't have a solution to the bubbles for you, some of it may work out when you send it for quilting.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The bubbles might work themselves out after you wash it. Did you stabilizer when you sewed the appliques down? That usually helps with everything applique.