Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default When making an ink jet printed quilt label...

Do you use Bubble Jet Set 2000 or something similar, make a faux version, or just print the label and set the ink with a hot iron? Do you think printed labels fade over time?

I am thinking of making my own quilt label using an ink jet printer, but really wondering where to start. I get how to cut the fabric and adhere to freezer paper but wondering what those of you who have printed quilt labels do to set the ink, prevent fading, use color ink or just black/white ink, etc. Your experiences are appreciated.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: When making an ink jet printed quilt label...

I make quilt labels using Inkjet Fabric Sheets made by Jacquard. I buy them from Amazon. There are 10 cotton sheets per pkg.
    I make a 2 column Word doc. I usually can get 6-8 labels per page. I use a script font--I think it's Lucinda Handwriting-- & bold the letters. Remember to turn your sheet upside down so your printer prints on the fabric side. Yes, I set the ink with a hot iron (cotton setting). I use a piece of computer paper between the iron & the label sheet. Make sure you leave enough space between the labels to allow for folding under the fabric. I iron under the edges at least 1/4" or so & pin on the label, then hand stitch it on. I usually place it in the lower right corner on the back of the quilt.

3. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I used kona white. I ironed freezer paper to the back side, then trimmed it to the size of a sheet of paper.
    I also used the "word" program to make the label.
    Then I ran a 'test' sheet of paper through with the word "up" hand written on it so I could see which side of the paper the printer was going to print on.
    Then I put the fabric piece in the printer oriented so it would print on the fabric side, and hit the print button.
    I then set the ink with hot iron, using blank paper on top to protect my iron, removed the freezer paper, turned the edges under, and sewed it on.

THEN I found a tutorial that did what I did EXCEPT
    They washed the fabric first, using very little detergent, and NO fabric softener,
    And after setting with a hot iron, they soaked the piece in retayne.

I did buy a quart of retayne, [M* was out of stock] but haven't made another lable yet.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    Remember to turn your sheet upside down so your printer prints on the fabric side.
    That depends on how your printer loads. Mine is a back loader and the sheets need to be face up.

6. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that the labels I have made with the InkJet do fade over time. I have one that is 10 years old and has faded enough I can't take a pic of it and it be readable. It has only been washed twice in the 10 years.

PS: I'm editing to include that I did not make the quilt or the label, so I'm not sure what procedure was followed to make it. I use my embroidery machine to make my labels so they last.

8. Thanks shawnan thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

BEWARE!! I did everything Pretty Curious did up to and including hit the print button. The freezer paper and fabric wound around the roller things inside the printer and could not be pulled out. Goodness knows I tried! There was no access to the inside of the printer from the bottom, top, or anywhere. I had to buy a new printer. THEN, I read the owners manual that stated pretty much it would not print on anything but paper. I had a Canon Pixma 5720. So check your owners manual even if you have to find it online before you do this.
    I used to have a printer, can't remember the brand that did work with freezer paper/fabric, so who knew not all printers will.
    Just saying after having to spend $70 for a new printer. sigh.....lesson learned.

10. Thanks PrettyCurious thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advise. I never thought about the fabric rolling up in the printer. How aweful. While looking on-line on the best way to do a label, I read that different printers use different chemical compounds in their inks and that makes a difference in the fading/washing but really wanted to hear from those with experience.

I read somewhere that the packaged fabric sheets JCY uses comes pretreated with chemicals and thus ready to use - a bonus for sure. Anyone else use chemicals on their fabric before printing their labels?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have printed many labels using my inkjet printer. I used to use the June Taylor sheets but since they are rather pricey and hard to find in Cream color in my area, I now use muslin or other fabric with freezer paper. This site is the one I always refer to: http://thegraphicsfairy.com/print-fa...aper-method-2/ I soak my printed label in white vinegar for 10 minutes to set the ink. There is a difference in printers and the ink they use. Pigment ink rather than dye ink is recommended for the labels. This site is helpful for determining which ink is pigment: https://laserinkjetlabels.com/pages/...et-cartridges/ I've only washed quilts with these labels a few times so can't speak to the longevity of them. They were fine with a few washings so far.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Dies anyone know if a laser printer can be used successfully? Because that is what I have and I know almost all label making instructions say to use sn ink jet printer. I don't know anything about the technical aspects of these things. Heck I mainly use my printer for printing documents on paper. Don't most people??

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Dies anyone know if a laser printer can be used successfully? Because that is what I have and I know almost all label making instructions say to use sn ink jet printer. I don't know anything about the technical aspects of these things. Heck I mainly use my printer for printing documents on paper. Don't most people??
    I wouldn't try it with a laser machine. I believe they use heat and that might cause problems if you use the fabric sheets. Seems like I've read it's not advised to use any fabric with a laser printer.