Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: odd question

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default odd question

I have a very odd question. My great niece is having a baby in August and her theme is Harry Potter. Personally I think the fabrics are not very attractive, but hey what do I know!!! Anyway - I have about a yard of a very busy print - sorta of different shaped and sizes of squares with all sorts of different harry potter things in each block, lots of primary colors - almost like a comic strip.

So my odd question - can I simply square the yardage up and add complementary borders and still call it a quilt. Somehow it feels like I cheated if I don't make a bunch of blocks and piece them together. But I just don't think cutting this fabric up and trying to piece it into something recognizable as Harry Potter is going to be difficult.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: odd question

Absolutely....good idea.

4. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Of course you can. After all, haven't many of us used Panels to make a quilt top?

But if you feel you're cheating, then you could always make a simple pieced top, and use the Harry Potter fabric as backing.

6. Thanks SallyO'Sews, SuzanneOrleansOntario, bubba thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I see no reason why you can't. It doesn't have to be difficult to be a quilt.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely! I have some fabric I plan to use in the same way. If you add a border, it still will be "pieced"! Go for it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't knowany other way to do a panel.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, why not? Maybe you can quilt it with lightning, wizard hats, etc. I would keep it simple
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the suggestions above. If you feel you must do some piecing, why not cut squares of the busy fabric and sash them with coordinating solids? I'm sure your niece will love you for making her a quilt of any kind!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just throwing it out there...there's a Harry Potter quilt along ...free ....going on right now maybe you could add a special block on the back or on the quilt. My daughter and son love Harry Potter so I'm doing the whole quilt https://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/...along.html?m=1

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a perfect idea! You could back it with a super soft flannel for the baby. The Mom could use it for"tummy time" on the floor. That phrase is a new one to me, I just put my baby on a pallet on the floor when I was busy. But then my baby is almost 50! Times do change!!!