Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: hello, newbie, looking for quilting machine purchase help

I love my Singer s18, has all the features needed for me an super easy to use. Thread cutter and up or down needle is very helpful on this machine. Whichever you decide to buy, take your time and see if you can test drive or find demos on YouTube.

Hope this helps you out.
    Gary
    Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Babsy, I have 3 Janome machines, and I've been happy with all of them. The one I use every day is the 8900.

3. Thanks quiltingaway thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    Well, we definitely agree on the Juki!

I was just trying to give Babsy a heads up that the cost of accessories is much higher in the Bernina world. I didn't mean to disparage Bernina machines, just the higher cost!
    Yes, I agree with you on the expense of extra bits and pieces!! I got several with the machine, and I have bought a quarter inch foot which I paid for with a gift card I got for Christmas. At Sew Expo, I picked up another, which was a lot less, plus it was 20% off at the show. In the future if I think I need more feet, that is where I will buy them!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at SewingMachinesPlus.com. There are a number of machines on that site, and more importantly, there are many many reviews of those machines. I find it very helpful as I, too, am in the market for a quilting machine. That site also offers financing options, some with 0% interest.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    I own a variety of machines, and my favorite for piecing is the Juki TL2010. It is a very solid, straight stitch only machine. It's also great for fmqing. You can find them for just under $1000.
    This is the machine I have and I love it. Very easy to do fmqing on. I can only do meandering so it works for me.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend that you deal with your local stores which should have a good reputation for maintenance, too. Personally, I have several machines, but I absolutely almost always use my Brother Innovis - it's a QC1000 which they don't make anymore, it is also an embroidery machine. Large throat, great for domestic machine quilting with an extension table which was included. Not sure what model of Brother would be comparable, but you might want to stop into the shop and check them out and do a test sew or two! PS I have never had any problems with this machine and have had it for at least 12 years. I sew almost every day on it. Quilts mostly these days.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I have purchased 2 machines online at Ken's Sewing Machine. One of them was my Janome Artistic 18 sit down. The other was my Brother embroidery machine. I've been very happy with them, and the prices were extremely competitive, matching another online site, plus free shipping.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Babsy View Post
    tension issues scare me, I confess. I would like a machine that is easy to use and adjusts tension automatically if possible.
    You need to conquer your fears of tension issues. LOL Sometimes easier said than done, but somewhere along the line you'll have a stitch problem that you want to blame on tension, when it may not actually be. For the most part once tension is set you don't need to touch it. Changing threads, or fabric type and thickness will sometimes require a very slight adjustment to the top tension, but it's rare. This is something to learn, and simple, and you'll be better off knowing. There's a whole lot of other things that happen within a machine that one might think- TENSION first. It's most often a housekeeping issue with the machine.

So... Don't rely on "automatic" tensioning. Those manufacturers that push that as a feature don't tell you the whole story. Auto-tensioning happens only on the bobbin thread, and that's for top loading style bobbins only. Yes, it does a decent job of bobbin thread tension for a fairly wide range of threads, UNTIL- your bobbin area needs a good cleaning. There's lots of good info out there on setting tension, and once you pick up on it you'll wonder what all the hub-bub was about. Totally easy and simple.

My thoughts on [which machine?] for piecing is keep it simple. While my computerized Janome does a good job, I always piece on vintage mechanical machines. First I don't need all the stitches, or the bells and whistles, and for the most part they can be a hindrance when piecing. On all the "fancy" machines there's a whole lotta bulk hanging out over the left of the needle. I find this reduces visibility and accessibility, especially when easing in curves, threading, changing needles or feet. I got man hands, and now are less than limber, so I need all the room I can get. Another thing I find important is the "bulk" of the free arm. Top loaders have a bulkier arm (front to back especially) and aren't as easy to use for garment construction or piecing tight radius curves.

In a new machine that leaves the choice to a mechanical straight stitcher like the Juki mentioned in other posts. Once you get used to the bottom loading (side or front) bobbin, you'll find it no more difficult than a top loading drop in bobbin.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-