Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: hello, newbie, looking for quilting machine purchase help

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    I do piecing on a Viking Opal 670 DSM. I do quilting on a Baby Lock Tiara II table model LA. But it will cost more than $4,000. I've had it 3.5 yrs. & have been very satisfied with it. My biggest challenge to using it was learning to adjust the tension to get a satisfactory stitch.

If you're new to quilting, you might want to wait a while to purchase a quilting machine. Learn to piece, etc. first. You can do FMQ on most DSMs, but you need to have the right type of presser foot & be able to drop the feed dogs.

Welcome to the Forum from Colorado.
    Thank you! Yes, I will focus on piecing first. A serious quilting machine is down the road for me, I think! I was thinking of piecing as quilting, in that it is making a quilt top. Sorry!

I will need to sew the layers together to from a quilt which I am guessing is what FMQ means? free motion quilting perhaps? I am not sure what you mean by DSM, but I assume that this is the type of machine that I am looking for.

tension issues scare me, I confess. I would like a machine that is easy to use and adjusts tension automatically if possible.

Thank you for your helpful reply!

(I love Colorado! Visited Colorado Springs a few times years ago - just beautiful and the nicest people!)

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Janome MC6600 P. I love it! It has been a workhorse. I originally bought it just for FMQ. At the time I was still piecing on a Bernina but wanted more throat space for quilting. I love this machine. I think you gets lots more bang for your buck with a Janome than a Bernina and I like how it stitched so well that I got rid of my Bernina. I like that it has the accufeed. And I have never had any issue with tension on this machine. Have fun with your new machine.

3. Thanks Babsy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, and Welcome! Even if you find a good machine with a larger throat, you may find that there is not much room to the left of the needle. When you are doing the quilting itself, you will be happier with a large flat area on the left, so you can better control the bulk of the quilt. You might want to get a "Sew Steady" table. It is an acrylic table specially cut to fit your machine. They are kind of pricy, but you will thank yourself if you get the biggest one you have room for. I bought the biggest one (I think) and I leave it in place all the time. When not actively engaged in sewing, it makes a great table to use your rotary cutter and mat on.
    I have no interest in the company, I'm just a satisfied customer.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Babsy ~ DSM = Domestic Sewing Machine. It takes a while to learn all the abbrev. & lingo. (Smile) A Sew Steady Extension Table -- an absolute must need. Once you buy a machine, or when you do, have the shop order you a table; they are custom made to fit each machine model. I think I paid ~$100. for mine, but that was several yrs. ago. I haven't priced them lately.

Another suggestion re: your shopping. Read the reviews on the internet. If you're interested in a specific model, go to YouTube to see if there is a video about that machine. Before I bought my Viking, I watched a 40 min. video on YT that explained all its functions & features. I was sold before I ever walked in the store to "test drive" one in my LQS (Local Quilt Store).
    Last edited by JCY; April 17th, 2019 at 09:40 PM. Reason: additional info.

6. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingaway View Post
    I think you gets lots more bang for your buck with a Janome than a Bernina and I like how it stitched so well that I got rid of my Bernina.
    I was at a demo day at our local Sewing Super Store where we got to try out lots of different features on lots of different machines. A store employee would demo each feature/machine/foot and then would let you try it. At one Bernina station, they ended the demo by telling the price of the foot for the Bernina—which was well over $100. I had the Janome version of that foot, and it had only cost me $30. This was the day I promised myself I would never buy a Bernina! (P.S. I do love my two Janome machines!)
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

8. Thanks quiltingaway thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    I was at a demo day at our local Sewing Super Store where we got to try out lots of different features on lots of different machines. A store employee would demo each feature/machine/foot and then would let you try it. At one Bernina station, they ended the demo by telling the price of the foot for the Bernina—which was well over $100. I had the Janome version of that foot, and it had only cost me $30. This was the day I promised myself I would never buy a Bernina! (P.S. I do love my two Janome machines!)
    Oh, I don't know if I can agree with this. I've sewn on Janomes and was not that impressed. This Bernina I recently got is pretty slick. Sure, I bought it used at a steal, but I love it.

It all boils down to what you like, and that is the brand machine you should get. I still strongly suggest you try the Juki TL2010...I think you'd be impressed.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

10. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    Oh, I don't know if I can agree with this. I've sewn on Janomes and was not that impressed. This Bernina I recently got is pretty slick. Sure, I bought it used at a steal, but I love it.

It all boils down to what you like, and that is the brand machine you should get. I still strongly suggest you try the Juki TL2010...I think you'd be impressed.
    Well, we definitely agree on the Juki!

I was just trying to give Babsy a heads up that the cost of accessories is much higher in the Bernina world. I didn't mean to disparage Bernina machines, just the higher cost!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

12. Thanks bubba thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Babsy View Post
    Thank you all for the replies! It is so helpful to be able to hear all your opinions/advice and experiences.

Some clarification:
    Yes, I am thinking of getting a machine that will allow both piecing the tops as well as machine quilting. I am new to the correct terminology, I'm afraid. Please forgive me as I endeavour to learn the correct quilting lingo. I have looked at Angela Walters and would like a machine that will allow me to use those. My current Bernette has a very small 'throat' so it could be cumbersome to manage a larger quilt. (I'll be finding out in the next few days when I sandwich my quilt together for quilting - the top is almost all pieced and sewn together now.)

I would also like something a bit wider in the area from the needle to the side. Finally, my machine doesn't have a walking foot or a 1/4 inch foot. So, there are a number of issues with my current machine that are giving me some headaches. I would rather purchase a more suitable machine than start buying a lot of extras for my current model. It was a gift, so I will keep it to use for other smaller sewing projects and as a 'travelling' machine to take to classes, etc.

I am currently looking at a Janome Memory Craft 6700 or a Janome Horizon 8200. I can get either for under $2000 and they seem to be good machines suited to piecing/quilting. I have been to the local stores in my area and the brands available to me locally seem to be Brother, Bernina, Janome, Singer and Bernette.

Thank you again for your helpful replies. Any further thoughts/advcie are greatly appreciated!
    I would choose the 6700 over the 8200. I know the 8200 has a longer harp, but the 6700 is a stronger machine. I think they both have walking foot type feet built in. I have had the 6600 and an 8900, so I am basing my recommendation on using both of those. Right now, I am using a clone of the Janome 1600. The newest version of that ( straight stitch only) is the HD9. This machine tackles ANYTHING. It doesn't need a walking foot. I love love love this straight stitch machine!

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I too love my 6600 that I purchased in 2013 upon the recommendation of a Quilt Shop owner who said they were work horses. I love that the AccuFeed is built in and think it does a beautiful quilting stitch. For the money the quality can't be beat in my opinion.

15. Thanks quiltingaway thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nesie View Post
    I too love my 6600 that I purchased in 2013 upon the recommendation of a Quilt Shop owner who said they were work horses. I love that the AccuFeed is built in and think it does a beautiful quilting stitch. For the money the quality can't be beat in my opinion.
    I have the 6600 also. When I was in Ill last year I saw my Janome in a quilt shop for almost the same price I paid for it new in 2009. So along withit being a work horse,maybe it holds it's value also. Sews everything from jeans to batiste. Kathy