Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP April 12 - 18, 2019

Denise - Beautiful set up. I am certain your room will be very inspiring.
    Claire - beautiful feathers. I think this might be worth a try for me. I just can't get the FMQ feathers.
    Threadndr - you will enjoy retirement.

It's been a busy week and a repeat this week until Easter. Last night we went to dinner with friends to celebrate GF 60th birthday. One of the guys retired 2 weeks ago. He was still walking on air. We warned him that he now would be busier than ever. Today I went shopping in a lovely village with GFs and I picked up 2 cards for a quilt shop hop. Last year I won a $100 gift certificate. It was a beautiful warm day.

I want to sew but too many appts last week & next week including getting my winter tires off, DH eye and dental appt. hopefully after Easter, I can get back to a routine. I have to get my GS quilt back pieced and finished.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

2. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cv quilter View Post
    That's beautiful, Claire. I hope I can do that on my Tiara with the help of a stencil. Which chalk do you use??? The iron off or the brush/wash off? I'm thinking of the iron off
    I bought both the iron off white and the brush off blue the first time I went to Paducah and hadn't used either one. This time I used the white and it did come off easily. I am a bit scared of the blue since if you iron over it, you can't get it off. I will be very cautious when I use it.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Denise, that's a beautiful room.
    And Claire - pretty feathers!

6. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Claire, your feathers are beautiful! I love feathers on a border. But I am feeling stupid here, what is a stitch regulator? Is it built into your machine or a stand alone attachment? What's the difference between that and just adjusting your stitch length? Wow, Denise that is one cool sewing studio you have! You are unbelievably organized considering you just moved in! Does it stay neat and orderly like that when you are making something? Lol. I would love a nice big room like that.

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    I am feeling stupid here, what is a stitch regulator? Is it built into your machine or a stand alone attachment? What's the difference between that and just adjusting your stitch length?
    Some sit down long arm machines have stitch regulators that control how many stitches are done based on the speed of your hand movement. This was done by free motion following a chalk marked stencil design.
    Never feel stupid about something you haven't ever heard about.

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    Some sit down long arm machines have stitch regulators that control how many stitches are done based on the speed of your hand movement. This was done by free motion following a chalk marked stencil design.
    Never feel stupid about something you haven't ever heard about.
    Thanks Claire. Good to know these things although I doubt I will ever get fancy like you. I am hopelessly old school.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You also can use whatever search engine you use -- Google, Bing, whatever -- and put in the question, What is a stitch regulator? There are articles & videos out there that will explain it. A stitch regulator is an optional item with longarm quilting machines -- both the stand up frames as well as the table top models. If a person has been FMQ on a DSM already, a stitch regulator is not necessary. I chose not to buy one when I bought my Baby Lock Tiara II >3 yrs. ago.

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've not been doing a great deal of sewing of late, can't seem to settle on any larger projects and have also been helping DD make curtains and cushions.

However at my craft class last week I heard the hospital which takes our Linus quilts has put an urgent call out for their Paediatric High Dependency Unit (6 months to 16 years old patients). Well that certainly gave me a kick up the rear!!
    I've made a simple rail fence topper out of a Moda scrap bag which I've laid out to quilt tomorrow. I've also pulled out a topper made from orphan blocks which I've also prepped for tomorrow. I reckon that if I do SITD, I'll get both done.

Then as the family is away at Easter, and DH has fencing and things to do in the garden, I'll have 3 days to get some more finished.

It's surprising that when you hear of children in need, all thoughts of missing mojo go out of the window!!

Hope you all have a good week.

15. Thanks Claire Hallman, MSN, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

hello friends - I've been doing a better job at sewing than dropping in the forum - I finished the top for a table runner this weekend, it was my January UFO project... but I think I should get bonus points for not having any UFOs and therefore an extension to start them all from scratch. (wink wink, being silly)

Just wanted to say hello -

17. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Claire Hallman thanked for this post