Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Half Square triangle

Quote Originally Posted by debbie1952 View Post
    Thanks, I have to go out of town, so may see if I can find one. I am using 5 inch squares, what size ruler would you suggest.
    If you are going to make your own bloc loc buy the size of ruler you will be trimming the HST to, in this case 4.5" square. That way you can trim all four sides without having to reposition the ruler. One of those rotating cutting mats would be really useful or buy a small rotary cutting mat (like a 6"x 8") that you can rotate manually on the table (instead of rotating your block to trim the other two sides rotate the mat) If you are going to purchase a bloc loc I would buy the 6.5" square so you can make multiple sizes of HST.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for their help. I will get something this weekend, and start on this quilt.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also use my Creative Grids 6.5" square ruler for squaring up anything that size or smaller. If it's larger than that, I use my 12.5" square Creative Grids ruler. I do not have any of those bloc-loc rulers. If you're using 5" pre-cut squares of fabric, make sure your squares are a full 5" & stitch a scant 1/4" so you don't come up short. You also can use the layer cake pre-cuts, or cut your own 10" squares & do the crazy eights like Jenny demo's.

5. Thanks ncgrammie thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

i have bought 2, 3 4, and 5" square templates and use them all the time. Easy to make that size of square from any fabric or use to trim one of those size blocks.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I love my June Tailor HST & QST ruler.

8. Thanks sydneybean thanked for this post