I'm Sorry Missouri Star Quilt Co. But....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dwil23
    Missouri Star
    • May 2012

Re: I'm Sorry Missouri Star Quilt Co. But....

Originally posted by midnightline View Post
    We've all been spoiled by Amazon and the instantly shipped item. While I agree that the longer it takes for an item to arrive, the more frustrating it is, I don't think 11 days shipping is a horrendous affront to decency that requires boycotting a seller. (Obviously if you need fabric in a hurry for a project, that's different...)

I'm not sure I can list an online fabric shop that is consistently faster than MSQC (except one that happens to be in-state for me). That's not to say that MSQC is the fastest, but rather that every shop and every carrier has delays now and again. Until we get replicators like they had in Star Trek, we won't be getting ordered fabric instantly any time soon.
    I don't think anyone is saying that slow shipping is an "afront to decency". What we are saying is that we love M* and WANT to order from them. We just don't feel they are listening to, or caring about what we, their CUSTOMERS are saying!

As far as shippers that get their orders out faster and on better shipping methods - there are probably hundreds to choose from. I order from several (8-10) on a regular basis. If I order early enough in the day, it's here 2 days later, and rarely more than 3. What this says to me, is these shippers CARE about us as customers, we are not just a number to be taken for granted as M* seems to say with their "we'll get it to you when we want to and you will love us anyway" attitude.

I also don't see Libby's (and others) choice not to order as a "boycott". It is simply making smarter buying choices from sellers that offer better customer service. Would you continue to shop at a grocery store that made you wait an hour in line to checkout if the store across the street offered similar prices and better customer service and got you out the door quickly? I doubt it! And this is what most of us are saying.
    Donna

Comment

• auntstuff
      Missouri Star
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by dwil23 View Post
      I don't think anyone is saying that slow shipping is an "afront to decency". What we are saying is that we love M* and WANT to order from them. We just don't feel they are listening to, or caring about what we, their CUSTOMERS are saying!

As far as shippers that get their orders out faster and on better shipping methods - there are probably hundreds to choose from. I order from several (8-10) on a regular basis. If I order early enough in the day, it's here 2 days later, and rarely more than 3. What this says to me, is these shippers CARE about us as customers, we are not just a number to be taken for granted as M* seems to say with their "we'll get it to you when we want to and you will love us anyway" attitude.

I also don't see Libby's (and others) choice not to order as a "boycott". It is simply making smarter buying choices from sellers that offer better customer service. Would you continue to shop at a grocery store that made you wait an hour in line to checkout if the store across the street offered similar prices and better customer service and got you out the door quickly? I doubt it! And this is what most of us are saying.
      And that is fact without the Kool-aid
      She who dies with the most quilts is......
      Still dead.
      What's your hurry?

Comment

• auntstuff
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
        I have often wondered if M* choice of shipping methods is limited by 2 factors. 1. They are located in a very rural area 75 miles from the nearest big city, so choosing a postal carrier that gives faster service may not be available to them from this location and 2. Their flat rate shipping cost of $5 limits which carrier is economically feasible.

Would you be willing to pay more to get your package faster? I know I would pay extra for expedited shipping if I needed something quickly. They used their local post office for years, can you imagine a small post office in a quiet rural town getting inundated with huge quantities of packages every day?

It's too bad a good business like this can be crippled by this delivery problem. I myself ( who lives 225 miles from Hamilton, and near a big city) have not experienced delivery issues. So international and rural deliveries may have routing roadblocks that cause your deliveries to be delayed.

I know this subject has been discussed a lot on this forum, it needs to be addressed by the company to do within their powers to fix issues. But they can't fix what is out of their control once it is out of their facility. But as one person said, they can research other choices for shipping that works better for all of their customers.
        *I* am located in a very rural area nearly 100 miles from anything as big as Hamilton. I NEVER have a problem with shipping options.
        Still dead.
        What's your hurry?

Comment

• dwil23
          Missouri Star
          • May 2012

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
          I have often wondered if M* choice of shipping methods is limited by 2 factors. 1. They are located in a very rural area 75 miles from the nearest big city, so choosing a postal carrier that gives faster service may not be available to them from this location and 2. Their flat rate shipping cost of $5 limits which carrier is economically feasible.

Would you be willing to pay more to get your package faster? I know I would pay extra for expedited shipping if I needed something quickly. They used their local post office for years, can you imagine a small post office in a quiet rural town getting inundated with huge quantities of packages every day?

It's too bad a good business like this can be crippled by this delivery problem. I myself ( who lives 225 miles from Hamilton, and near a big city) have not experienced delivery issues. So international and rural deliveries may have routing roadblocks that cause your deliveries to be delayed.

I know this subject has been discussed a lot on this forum, it needs to be addressed by the company to do within their powers to fix issues. But they can't fix what is out of their control once it is out of their facility. But as one person said, they can research other choices for shipping that works better for all of their customers.
          Jean, when I first started ordering from M*, they were using USPS. It got to me 2-3 days at most after shipping. There was even mention in one of the "news features" about how the local post office had added personnel to handle the extra work. Then, enter UPS and supposedly cheaper rates. And slower shipping. Then as if that wasn't bad enough, they went to Fed-Ex and even slower shipping (personally I didn't think that was possible).

As far as paying more - why would I? There are MANY and I do mean MANY other fabric sources that ship for $5 and get the goods to me in 2 days. I will stick with them. And contrary to other statements, these sources are no more expensive - sometimes even less - that M*.
          Donna

Comment

• Caroline T.
            Missouri Star
            • Jun 2016

Libby, I know that this decision doesn't come lightly for you. You have been a champion for MSQ for several years and continued to be a loyal customer during their growing pains. I can't say that I have completely stopped giving them my business, but I can honestly say that I don't remember the last time I ordered from them either.

It seems that MSQ is still experiencing those pains. When I first discovered MSQ about four years ago, they were having trouble getting the orders out the door timely. I recall my first order took three phone calls and several emails and two weeks before it ever left the store. But once it hit the shipping truck I had it within days. Then MSQ got the new order fulfillment system in place, which I suspect having to hire more employees, acquire a bigger facility, and new computer/software system to track all that (a.k.a Lots of Money). And for a short time, it seemed that the orders were getting out the door quickly and shipping was still quick.

Then sadly they switched shipping companies, and so many of us asked WHY? I suspect it all comes down to finances. All those new employees, and new order fulfillment center had to have cost MSQ a great deal of money, so somehow somewhere they had to cut costs, and sadly shipping seemed to be the choice they made.

So in my opinion, MSQ is still in the same boat they were four years ago....the orders are not reaching many of their customers in a satisfactory time frame.

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2013

I can understand Libby's decision and others who are having shipping problems. I'm fortunate that I don't have this problem or I'm sure my decision to shop temporarily elsewhere would be the same as Libby's. I do however see a difference between coming into a group and saying "boycott" a company and "hey guys looks like I'll temporarily have to shop elsewhere until the problem is solved". Those of us who have been with this company for a while love this company. It's like we grew up with it so naturally there is an element of sadness when it comes to a decision like this.

Any company that uses the Internet as a venue for sales knows.. even if you have a good product, if you don't get that product to your customers in a timely manner you lose customers. If you keep losing customers can, over time, go out of business. For every happy customer you gain 3 from their words of mouth. For every unsatisfied customer you lose more than that. It's simple math.

If MSQ doesn't make shipping their number one priority it will not only be a loss for them but sadly for us too who actually would like to continue ordering from them. As I've said, I don't have a problem with their shipping, I've actually even had longer shipping waits with Amazon and I'm a Prime member.
              https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
              Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• auntstuff
                Missouri Star
                • Nov 2017

One time last year, they sent my package USPS; it was here in 3 days. Next month, same exact item went Fedex smartpost. Took 11 days. Kinda obvious to me....
                Still dead.
                What's your hurry?

Comment

• Cathy F
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2012

I have had no problems with the FedEx shipping to date. I placed an order on the 9th and it was delivered today and I'm in New York.
                  Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

• geegeequilts
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2015

Just to put in my 2 cents worth. I LOVE Jenny & her family. I'm a touchy-feely kind of fabric buyer. I want to know it's what I want & need. That M* has had growing pains over the years is such an understatement. The pains caused (in my opinion) a conglomerate to try to maintain that small company feel. From what I've read here it's failing the customers. Maybe the Doan family should still have more of a hand in running what appealed to customers in the first place. They may continue to lose customers who will go to other companies.

I only wanted to add that there are solutions here if the powers that be are interested in more than just $$$.

Gina

Comment

• shataidow
                      Beginning Stitcher
                      • Aug 2018

my orders from M* are always timely. i also order from fabric.com and amazon. i wait until i have enough for free shipping. amazon is usually longest delivery wait because i don't pay anything extra for faster delivery. i don't order a lot, but so far so good. And I've never even noticed shipping company.

Comment

• auntstuff
                        Missouri Star
                        • Nov 2017

I hope someone is mapping all this to see where the problem spots are.
                        Still dead.
                        What's your hurry?

Comment

• lots2do
                          Applique Angel
                          • Aug 2015

I remain amazed that this forum is offered for all of our enjoyment and that differing opinions(from my perspective ) are allowed. This isn't the case with every forum.

Comment

• JCY
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jul 2013

This Forum is a great place to visit! I've learned so much from the interchange here & made new friends. This is my only "social media". I don't do Facebook or any others.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                              Missouri Star
                              • Apr 2012

I think I've probably adopted kind of a middle of the road attitude: If I need it fast, I order elsewhere. But if I'm just building my stash—which is about 90% of my purchases—I'll buy from M*. I will always love Jenny and her family. But reality is reality, and deadlines must be met.

Does anyone know who the new CEO of M* is? I've never heard who got the top spot.
                              Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• K. McEuen
                                Super Moderator
                                Missouri Star
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by GuitarGramma View Post

Does anyone know who the new CEO of M* is? I've never heard who got the top spot.
                                When Al, Sarah and David Mifsud (I think I got the last name right) retired, David's brother Mike was hired as the new CEO. The original 3 hold places on the Board of Directors
                                K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
                                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                                T - is it TRUE?
                                H - is it HELPFUL?
                                I - is it INSPIRING?
                                N - is it NECESSARY?
                                K - is it KIND?

Comment

Working...
                                X