• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lots2do
    Applique Angel
    • Aug 2015

Self Promotion at a Quilt Guild

Hi fellow Quilters,
    Just wondering if you’ve ever experienced any heavy handed promotion of guild members’ businesses at Guild meetings. At one Guild I used to belong to, one long armer was very aggressive about hijacking Show and Tell to run basically in person commercials. There were other members who also ran long arming businesses who were much more discrete and never seemed to run out of customers.
    I also wonder if your Guild is a nonprofit organization, does this type of practice set up a conflict of interest for the operation of the Guild? Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with business owners being active members but I resent being a sitting duck for someone’s hard sell at a meeting I’m attending for my hobby.
    Thanks for giving this some thought.
  • lots2do
    Applique Angel
    • Aug 2015

Re: Self Promotion at a Quilt Guild

And my next question is if there are any guidekines that a Guild has in their rules or bylaws to address such a situation?

Comment

• shermur
      Missouri Star
      • Mar 2013

@ lots2do.....morning, sweetie!

I have been a member of quilt guilds in Missouri, Arkansas and Vermont. Each one very different and some similarities. But, most quilt guilds are non-profit and tax exempt; depending on how they are filed with the state the guild is affiliated with.

Most guilds (depending on the size) have by-laws in tact on how their business meetings on conducted and how members are to be involved. If you feel that the by-laws need to be addressed, please contact the board members of your guild!

The only time I have seen a business owner promote themselves at a guild meeting? Only if they have been asked to be a program speaker and demo their expertise and wares. Never at "Show-N-Tell"......

Any long-armers or quilters who charge are usually "by word of mouth. You might make some phone calls in your area of different quilt guilds and ask their opinion on this matter.
      Are you looking for a quilting friend or a quilt show? You will find quilters here, as listed by the guilds themselves.
      Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Missouri Star
        • Aug 2015

Excellent question. Our guild is non-profit, but does provide members the opportunity to buy advertising space in the guild newsletter. If they are really good and have won national or international awards, they are brought in as the guest speaker.

At show and tell, people usually say if they quilted themselves and 'mention' who may have done Quilting. At a recent meeting however, several LA also showed their quilts and really promoted their business. Ist one, I thought -not nice, 2nd one, not appropriate, 3rd - I secretly hoped someone would say something. I think there is someone on the executive designated to speak to the members, as this is part of the by-laws. It hasn't happened since, but I am certain it may again. Like you I don't want to sit through someone's marketing pitch.

Same goes for members who leave a pile of business cards on the side tables.
        Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• oldmanquilts
          Designer Diva
          • May 2018

This behavior is not appropriate, and you can bet it was, or will be dealt with. I doubt this specific situation is addressed in the guild's by-lays. It isn't in ours. Board meetings are open to all members so if it were a problem, I'd attend a meeting and voice my concerns there.

We too have lots of LA's and none of them have to self-promote at meetings. They get their business by keeping their mouths shuts and turning out good work. Word travels quickly. The poor soul who used Show and Tell to sell themselves was hurtin' and this just runs off more folks. She'll (or he) will get hers/his.
          You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• MRoy
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2011

My guild is very small and none of us are in the quilting business so it's not an issue. I also wouldn't like a pro taking over show & tell to promote themselves. Good luck!
            *~* Myrna *~*
            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• JCY
              Missouri Star
              • Jul 2013

There are several LA quilters in our guild who have businesses, but they do not promote themselves during Sew & Tell. We have a membership table where members sign in each month. Local businesses may lay out their business cards on the table if anyone wants to pick up one, but no one promotes their LA business. We have reps. from the Bernina Shop & the LQS who may make an announcement re: activities at their shops during the announcements section of the program, but they are brief. They also pay to have an advertisement in our bi-monthly newsletter. Other advertisers are a quilt appraiser, etc. Anyone promoting their business during a Sew & Tell is acting inappropriately.

Comment

• lots2do
                Applique Angel
                • Aug 2015

Thanks everyone for your comments. If I'm bugged by it, others must be too, as some of you have expressed similar thoughts. I know and trust one of our board members so will have a brief, private conversation with her. I'll also ask around and see how other guilds handle this. Good, quality work does speak for itself! And there is a way to promote own’s business that is respectful and appropriate.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                  Missouri Star
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by oldmanquilts View Post
                  This behavior is not appropriate, and you can bet it was, or will be dealt with. I doubt this specific situation is addressed in the guild's by-lays. It isn't in ours. Board meetings are open to all members so if it were a problem, I'd attend a meeting and voice my concerns there.

We too have lots of LA's and none of them have to self-promote at meetings. They get their business by keeping their mouths shuts and turning out good work. Word travels quickly. The poor soul who used Show and Tell to sell themselves was hurtin' and this just runs off more folks. She'll (or he) will get hers/his.
                  Ditto, Mr. river city orygun. This exactly what I was going to say.
                  Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Working...
                  X