Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default MSQC North Star Quilt/tutorial

Is anyone familiar with this block? I would like to do it with foundation paper piecing but have been unable to find anything like it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: MSQC North Star Quilt/tutorial

The blocks are 11" square, I don't know how that would translate to FPP, you'd have to piece the papers for each block.

I think it's pretty easy to just piece it.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here are my thoughts:

Here is a picture of the block itself on this page: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/land...&utm_term=msqc

Can you copy the block onto foundation paper?

I have no idea if this would work or not and I am sorry in advance if I am of no help to you.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like it would be easy to graft out on paper and make some copies.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, silly me didn't think about graphing it out myself....simple solution! And yes, it would have to be in several sections due to its size. But here's another question about this block......In the instructions it says the block is 11" finished. My unfinished blocks are a tight 11.25". When they are finished/sewn together, they are going to measure 10.75". I have checked and double checked my seam measurements, cutting and pressing and am at a loss as to the discrepancy. I thought maybe the instructions should have been that the UNfinished block was 11" but to square my unfinished block down to that I'm going to lose my seam allowances for piecing the blocks together. I'm going to continue, the quilt will be a few inches smaller but will still suit my purpose nicely. I am however really perplexed. Has anyone done this tutorial and had a similar problem?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that as long as all your blocks are all the same size (squared up) it should be okay. I think the reference to "finished" was prior to putting them together as a quilt. Meaning each individual completed block is 11". She only has 6 blocks across, so her added borders is what brings it out to 80" in width. Their seam measurements might be a sliver over 1/4" and yours a true 1/4" seam. Those slivers add up.... I found that out the hard way! Hence I have gotten pretty dang good at trimming down blocks to match each other or adding borders for optical illusions!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I can tell it looks like the wider strips are cut at 2.5 and the narrower ones cut at 1.5. And the HST is finished at 2 inches. That should give you an 11 inch block But. As Mimi Howard said, as long as they all finished at the same size they should be good

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou everyone for your advice....most appreciated. Have a nice day.