Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Considering the brother PQ1500s

Hi,
    I currently have a brother sewing machine with a 6in throat space. The struggle of course is stuffing a quilt through that space. The 1500 has a 9in throat. My question is, does the 3in make enough of a difference to be worthwhile?
    My hope is to put the 1500 on a quilt frame, but it may be some time before Iím able to purchase the frame.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Considering the brother PQ1500s

It definitely does. Think of it this way, you're adding 50% to the throat space!

I have a Juki 98E with a 9" throat on which I quilted a twin size quilt. I then bought a Little Gracie quilt frame and use the Juki on that. The 9" throat space is a good size. Eventually I bought a Bailey Home Quilter to go onto the Little Gracie frame because I wanted a bigger embroidery field, but the 9" served me well for many, many years.
    Last edited by GuitarGramma; April 8th, 2019 at 01:48 PM.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

3. Thanks LChristineL thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love my brother. It’s so fast! I don’t do any fancy fmq, just meander and loops, but I’ve done 3 CA king size with no problems. Yes, the larger throat makes a world of difference.
    Vernona

5. Thanks LChristineL thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Brother 1500. Yes the extra 3" makes a huge difference. Think of the extra 3" as a 50% size improvement. Also it is not only wider, it is also taller You won't have any trouble getting your queen size quilt sandwich through the throat. The side vertical bobbin makes FMQ quilting much easier.

I don't want to disillusion you, but a 9" throat space is not going to work so well on a frame. So will lose at least 3" of the 9" space for the top rod. As you roll the quilt up as you progress you may lose up to 6" of the 9" space leaving you only 3" to quilt. Still better than nothing though.
    Last edited by DeniseSm; April 8th, 2019 at 01:54 PM.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

7. Thanks LChristineL thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This looks like a nice machine! I didn't realize Brother had a straight stitch only fast machine with large harp. I have a Brother pc420prw and I just love Brother machines. I bought a Singer S16 which is similar to the Brother you are getting but it is hard to get anymore and double the price now of what I paid ($400) a few years ago. Looks like a good deal. I have no idea about putting on a frame though. That is out of my experience league. Good luck!
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

9. Thanks LChristineL thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I love love love my PQ1500. I too had a Grace frame (start right 2) and was able to do about a 4-5" repeat. I had no stitch regulator or anything fancy but I got used to it. I eventually moved up to a true longarm, but that only means I have my beloved PQ back for piecing! It is a true workhorse and I love it for ruler work, FMQ, straight-line quilting using the walking foot, and piecing.

11. Thanks LChristineL thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much for the feedback and sharing your experience with machine and frame. I'm going for it! Ordering it tomorrow. I'm so excited!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

i just ordered the Brother PQ1500SL a few days ago thru the Walmart website (it's sold thru several stores). It arrives today and i'll be testing it out over the next week. Easy return if i don't like it! But it has great reviews.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I gave it a test run on a table runner last night and it sews like butter! I am going to love it!

15. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your new sewing friend. Glad you are enjoying her
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon