• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LChristineL
    Prairie Pointer
    • Sep 2015

Considering the brother PQ1500s

Hi,
    I currently have a brother sewing machine with a 6in throat space. The struggle of course is stuffing a quilt through that space. The 1500 has a 9in throat. My question is, does the 3in make enough of a difference to be worthwhile?
    My hope is to put the 1500 on a quilt frame, but it may be some time before I’m able to purchase the frame.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
  • GuitarGramma
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2012

Re: Considering the brother PQ1500s

It definitely does. Think of it this way, you're adding 50% to the throat space!

I have a Juki 98E with a 9" throat on which I quilted a twin size quilt. I then bought a Little Gracie quilt frame and use the Juki on that. The 9" throat space is a good size. Eventually I bought a Bailey Home Quilter to go onto the Little Gracie frame because I wanted a bigger embroidery field, but the 9" served me well for many, many years.
    Last edited by GuitarGramma; April 8, 2019, 10:48 AM.
    Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• vchale
      Missouri Star
      • Mar 2013

I love my brother. It’s so fast! I don’t do any fancy fmq, just meander and loops, but I’ve done 3 CA king size with no problems. Yes, the larger throat makes a world of difference.
      Vernona (Beaverton OR)

Comment

• DeniseSm
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2013

I have the Brother 1500. Yes the extra 3" makes a huge difference. Think of the extra 3" as a 50% size improvement. Also it is not only wider, it is also taller You won't have any trouble getting your queen size quilt sandwich through the throat. The side vertical bobbin makes FMQ quilting much easier.

I don't want to disillusion you, but a 9" throat space is not going to work so well on a frame. So will lose at least 3" of the 9" space for the top rod. As you roll the quilt up as you progress you may lose up to 6" of the 9" space leaving you only 3" to quilt. Still better than nothing though.
        Last edited by DeniseSm; April 8, 2019, 10:54 AM.
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• amartin24
          Missouri Star
          • Jul 2014

This looks like a nice machine! I didn't realize Brother had a straight stitch only fast machine with large harp. I have a Brother pc420prw and I just love Brother machines. I bought a Singer S16 which is similar to the Brother you are getting but it is hard to get anymore and double the price now of what I paid ($400) a few years ago. Looks like a good deal. I have no idea about putting on a frame though. That is out of my experience league. Good luck!
          I am Sew Blessed!
          Alina

Comment

• Squeaky
            Applique Angel
            • Aug 2012

I love love love my PQ1500. I too had a Grace frame (start right 2) and was able to do about a 4-5" repeat. I had no stitch regulator or anything fancy but I got used to it. I eventually moved up to a true longarm, but that only means I have my beloved PQ back for piecing! It is a true workhorse and I love it for ruler work, FMQ, straight-line quilting using the walking foot, and piecing.

Comment

• LChristineL
              Prairie Pointer
              • Sep 2015

Thank you all so much for the feedback and sharing your experience with machine and frame. I'm going for it! Ordering it tomorrow. I'm so excited!

Comment

• RAFDesigns
                9 Patch Princess
                • Mar 2019

i just ordered the Brother PQ1500SL a few days ago thru the Walmart website (it's sold thru several stores). It arrives today and i'll be testing it out over the next week. Easy return if i don't like it! But it has great reviews.

Comment

• RAFDesigns
                  9 Patch Princess
                  • Mar 2019

I gave it a test run on a table runner last night and it sews like butter! I am going to love it!

Comment

• cv quilter
                    Missouri Star
                    • Feb 2015

Congrats on your new sewing friend. Glad you are enjoying her
                    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• vovopeggy
                      Shiny Thimble
                      • Jun 2012

You won't regret getting that brother machine. I put my other machines aside unless I need special stitches. I love mine and you will too.

Comment

• Rosep
                        Shiny Thimble
                        • Jul 2020

So, I was wondering after a year has passed, how RAFDesigns is getting on with the Brother PQ1500SL? Am considering buying one for quilting and piecing. Are owners still loving their machines?

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2012

If you have watched any of Jenny’s latest tutorials, she has been using her BabyLock machine that is the same ( more or less) as the Brother 1500. Brother and BabyLock are made by the same company. Baby!ick has changed the name of their straightstitch machine several times in the past few years, I think the latest name is Accomplish,

Comment

• Ruthie734
                            Missouri Star
                            • May 2020

Buy it! It’s a workhorse. I piece with mine all the time. I have several other more expensive machines, but that is the one I use all of the time. It sews a beautiful stitch. I’ve been using mine for nearly 20 years. Love it!

Comment

Working...
                            X