Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Monday Trivia: Oregon

Some Interesting Facts about Oregon:

Oregon's state flag pictures a beaver on its reverse side. It is the only state flag to carry two separate designs.

Oregon has more ghost towns than any other state.

Oregon and New Jersey are the only states without self-serve gas stations.

Eugene was the first city to have one-way streets.

Pilot Butte, a cinder cone volcano, exists within the city limits of Bend.

Attachment 158520

At 329 feet the Coast Douglas-Fir in Oregon is considered the tallest tree in the state.

At 8,000 feet deep Hells Canyon is the deepest river gorge in North America.

Attachment 158518

Oregon's state birthday is on February 14, Valentine's Day.

The "Oregon Pioneer" statue that tops the capitol building is a work by Ulric Ellerhusen. This heroic figure represents the spirit of Oregon's early settlers.

The state park system has 159 yurts located in 19 parks. Yurts are a circular domed tent suitable for camping.

The Willamette River was discovered in 1792.

In 1858 the richest gold find in the Cascade Mountains was discovered in the Bohemia Mining District at Sharp's Creek near Cottage Grove.

In 1880 a sea cave was discovered near what is now known as Florence. Sea Lion Caves is known to be the largest sea cave in the world.

Attachment 158519

The nation's most photographed lighthouse is the Heceta Head Lighthouse located in Lane County. There are nine lighthouses standing along the coastline. Five are still being used; the others are designated historic monuments.

Attachment 158521

The Tillamook Rock Lighthouse, built in 1880, is currently used as the site of the final resting place of up to 467,000 cremated individuals.

Attachment 158522

Oregon's second highest waterfall is Salt Creek Falls in the Cascade Mountain range. It drops 286 feet.

High above the city of Portland the International Rose Test Garden features more than 500 varieties of roses cultivated continuously since 1917.

At 11,239 feet Mount Hood stands as the tallest peak in Oregon. Mount Hood is a dormant volcano.

Silver Falls State Park is the Oregon's largest state park. It features 10 waterfalls and contains a wide variety of forested hiking trails.

Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the United States. It was formed more than 6,500 years ago. Its crystal-blue waters are world renowned.

Attachment 158516

Discovered in 1874 the caves located in Oregon Caves National Monument are carved within solid marble.

The Carousel Museum contains the world's largest and most comprehensive collection of carousel horses.

Fort Clatsop National Memorial contains a replica of Lewis and Clark's 1805-1806 winter outpost.

The Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area is a spectacular river canyon cutting the only sea-level route through the Cascade Mountain Range.

Attachment 158524

The Columbia River forms most of the northern border between Oregon and Washington. The Snake River forms over half of the eastern boundary with Idaho.

In 1905 the largest long cabin in the world was built in Portland to honor the Lewis and Clark expedition.

The Oregon Trail is the longest of the overland routes used in the westward expansion of the United States.

The Tillamook Naval Air Museum is housed in the world's largest wooden clear-span building.

Haystack Rock off Cannon Beach is 235 feet high and is the third largest coastal monolith in the world.

Attachment 158523

The Seaside Aquarium was the first facility in the world to successfully breed harbor seals in captivity.

Mill Ends Park (sometimes mistakenly called Millís End Park)*is a tiny urban park located in downtown Portland.*The park is a small circle 2*ft across. Mill Ends Park was designated as a city park in 1948. It is the smallest park in the world, according to the Guinness Book of Records, which first granted it this recognition in 1971.

Attachment 158517

Oregon residents own one-fourth of the countryís total llama population.

The John Day Fossil Beds National Monument is one of the richest fossil sites in the world.

Attachment 158515

Oregon is home to the biggest mushroom on earth. Spanning approximately 2.4 miles in Oregonís Blue Mountains, the enormous honey fungus is believed to be somewhere between 1900 and 8650 years old.*

Some Strange Laws in Oregon:

- Donít even try fishing with canned corn for bait. Itís totally illegal.
    - One may not test their physical endurance while driving a car on a highway.
    - Babies may not be carried on the running boards of a car.
    - No weddings on ice skating rinks.
    - No whistling underwater.
    - Shoelaces must be tied while walking down the street.
    - No ice cream on Sundays. (Yeah, right.....bet this one is broken all the time!)

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Monday Trivia: Oregon

Yay, my home state! Used to love going to Agate Beach.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

3. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the hanger in Tillamook before it was a museum. It was built to house blimps! It is huge inside. The drive down the Columbia Gorge is one of the prettiest I have ever seen. Pendleton, in Eastern Oregon, is famous for it's woolens and it's rodeo. My mother worked at the mill long ago.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

5. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Been years since I last went to the Pendelton Roundup.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

7. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing info. about Oregon. I used to live in Seaside on the coast. Also resided in Arch Cape where I had an ocean view out my kitchen window. I've been clam digging, drift wood gathering, etc. along the beaches. I still have a Japanese glass float I retrieved after a storm. The sand castle competition on Cannon Beach is amazing to see. I've toured the Tillamook Cheese Factory. I used to live a few blocks from the salt cairn in Seaside where they cooked down the ocean water to get salt. I've been to Fort Clatsop. I've traveled the Columbia River Gorge Fwy. many times. Multnomah Falls is spectacular. The large bridge that spans the Columbia River from Astoria to WA was built in the 1960's while I resided in OR. Both of my sons were born in Seaside.
    Lots of memories of that state.

9. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, I've added Oregon on my travel bucket list. I may never get back home.

Gina

11. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Home sweet home!
    Pam

13. Thanks Star lover, auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You've done it again! Thank you for sharing these fascinating facts about Oregon.

Funny story about getting petrol in Oregon. We pull up to the pump and I get out of the car to, you know, pump gas. I have this memory of the gas station employees running toward me, yelling NO!!! It was SO confusing.

When they got close enough, they explained that no one in Oregon is allowed to pump his own gas. "But don't worry. We saw your California plates, so you're OK." OK? From what, prosecution?

It was quite a culture shock, especially considering our states are next door neighbors.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

15. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, yeah. I'd forgotten about not being able to pump your own gas in Oregon. I've been doing self-serve for so many years. It's been so long since I used a full service gas station. They used to come out, check your oil, pump your gas, clean the windshield, etc. How times have changed. I still have a set of nice drinking glasses that I got with gas >40 yrs. ago.

If quilting fans visit Oregon, they should visit the Aurora Colony Museum & see the old quilts. It's south of Portland. Jane Kirkpatrick wrote a series of 3 fiction novels (based on fact) about the starting of that colony. She also wrote a non-fiction book, AURORA - AN AMERICAN EXPERIENCE IN QUILT, COMMUNITY, AND CRAFT. It's all about that colony & is laden with pictures.

I would love to visit Jordan's Fabrics in Grants Pass, OR. But I doubt I will ever visit that part of the country again. As long as I'm in caregiving mode, my traveling days are over.

17. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You are now allowed to pump your own gas in Oregon, but only at certain stations and only during daylight hours I think. We have not been down there since the law changed.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

19. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post