Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thursday Trivia: Guinea Pigs

They're not related to pigs, and they're not from the nation of Guinea; guinea pigs come from South America, where they're bred as domestic animals.

While many people around the world keep them as pets, guinea pigs are also commonly grilled and eaten.

In the 19th and 20th centuries, they were scientists' lab animals of choice, used as test subjects in the study of diseases and the development of vaccines. That's why today, we often refer to a person who's the subject of medical testing as a guinea pig.

Attachment 158558

Some more interesting things about Guinea Pigs:

- A male guinea pig is called a boar and female is called a sow.
    - In the wild they live in 'herds' with a dominant boar (male).
    - Guinea pigs are unable to make their own vitamin C so it needs to be supplemented into their diet.
    - Their teeth are constantly growing so it's important for them to chew to wear them down.
    - They live between 7 and 9 years.
    - The oldest guinea pig was 15 years old and is in the Guiness book of records.
    - Guinea pigs have 4 toes on the forefoot and 3 on the hind foot.
    - Each guinea pig has five different types of hair that makes up their coat.
    - A young guinea pig can run when they are only three hours old.

2. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thursday Trivia: Guinea Pigs

And they are breeding fertile at 6 weeks. I kept them for many years. Really miss the little guys.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

4. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

We had guinea pigs as pets when my daughter was little. They were very sweet and liked to be held and cuddled. One year my sixth graders had a couple as classroom pets. We did reports about them, built a very large cage, and even made little quilts for them in case of “accidents” when they were hanging out on the students’ desks.
    Last edited by Nwmnteacher; April 11th, 2019 at 09:22 AM.

6. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Awww, this brings back memories of the pet guinea pig I had as a child. I did not know people ate them!

8. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    Awww, this brings back memories of the pet guinea pig I had as a child. I did not know people ate them!
    Peruvian chicken
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

10. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post