Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default On-line fabric ordering?

I have only ordered fabric a couple times but know of people who do it quite often. My concern is about matching colors when you can't see them in person. How do you do it? How do you make sure all the colors work together and are exactly the right shade? I can pick up 2 fabrics that are similar in color but not exact. I show them to Hubby who says "they are exactly alike, what is the difference?" He can't tell, or doesn't notice the subtle differences that I pick up on. It could be the level of interest we each have, or the level of pickiness, who knows. My nearest quilt store is 40 miles away, the next 2 are 50 miles, so I don't get to shop in person very often. Even the closest Hobby Lobby is 50 miles and JoAnn's is 90.

Any tricks to picking out fabric when looking at a computer monitor for the right fabric?

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: On-line fabric ordering?

Honestly, I buy charm packs. I use them as fabric references. Moda marbles has charm packs then I use them for applique or fillers when I need them. I lived in Europe for few years and all I had was online shopping for fabric.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at the daily deals that M* runs, you can see all the colors in the precut, and further down the page, some suggestions for solids that go with the deal. I sometimes just buy one or two prints from the precut selections, then buy a solid that is sure to match. Of course, as often as not, the beautiful large colorful print that I like best is not offered as yardage!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Some web sites offer a design wall of sorts where you can place your fabric selections next to each other. But it's a risk you take that the colors may not be exact. Some depends on a person's color monitor on their computer. I personally haven't had any problems, but then I'm usually ordering pre-cuts, yardage, or panels, so matching isn't an issue. I like the convenience of shopping on line instead of trekking around to umpteen LQSs, which may or may not be within easy driving distance.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I try to buy yardage from the precut line. But when I can't, my method is to just keep opening tabs of fabrics that "come close" plus one for the fabric I have. I don't trust the colors on my monitor to match fabric sitting in front of me, but I do trust online images from the same vendor to "distort" the colors in the same way.

Then I start flipping through these tabs: original fabric, tab 1, original fabric, tab 2, etc. Eventually, I settle on one & place my order. So far, I've had really good luck.

P.S. Don't blame your husband. Science has proven that women perceive many, many more colors than men can.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

If you buy all the fabrics from one line your chances are pretty good. I'm thinking about Kansas Troubles. All their colors go together even across the different lines. Maybe I should say as far as I know. I haven't actually looked at them in 2-3 years.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You are certainly right that this can be a big issue. I have made more than my share of mistakes ordering fabric because when it comes right down to it there are so many shades of every single color including white. I think FQS has a color matcher tab that shows what individual colors are in a printed piece and then a little confetti shaped square of all the colors. Sometimes that helps, like when ordering a tiny all over print (like calico) and you click on the color matcher it might show a color you didn't even notice was in there like purple or peach. It hasn't' discouraged me from shopping online, I just wind up adding more to my stash or placing a second order in attempting to pick a certain color and hoping its the right one I wanted in the first place. And a lesson I learned the hard way save the packing slip for your project and snip a 1 inch square from the fabrics and tape them to the packing slip in case you need to order more.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; April 9th, 2019 at 02:15 AM.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, you have confirmed what I suspected. PC monitors can distort the colors but sticking to a design group is a good bet. I had just ordered a quilt backing that was not as dark as I expected/wanted. But it's one that I will be able to use in the future, just not exactly what I wanted for this project. It is royal blue, not navy blue. My error, I probably clicked on the wrong one when placing the order. Some projects I am extremely picky about my color choices, but others not so much. The one on the table at the moment is very much a stash-buster so has all types of colors, prints and designs. But I do have one in mind for a future project that I will want perfect color and pattern coordination. For that one I'll probably spend as much time in the fabric store(s) as I need to get the right fabs.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

OH boy, gone are the days of sample squares being sent in the mail. sigh.
    I recently found "denim" does not mean denim. it may mean denim like or denim colors only.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Backsidefabrics.com will send up to 10 samples free. Once I place an order it usually arrives in a couple of days.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

13. Thanks quiltingaway thanked for this post