Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb How to preshrink / pre-shrink / pre shrink batting

Hi there,

Just wanted to share how I preshrunk / preshrank (?) my cotton batting.

(I'm new to this forum so if it belongs in a different area or existing thread please move it - thanks, and sorry for any inconvenience, I'm a moderator on a forum so I know what it's like).

After searching online I read that someone put their batting in the bath tub and it took a lot of work to squish the water out of it. After that she had trouble handling it to get it hung out to dry. I had previously decided that I was going to put mine in the washing machine so I could spin it.

My solution: I put my queen size batting inside a doona / quilt cover. It fitted okay in my medium sized washing machine. I filled the machine and poked at it with a dowel to ensure it was all wet and left it to soak for a while. I skipped the washing / agitation part and then did the eco rinse and spin. Fast spin was okay.

When I first hung it out on the clothes line over 2 lines there was a bit of bunching so after it dried a tiny bit I decided to take the doona cover off. Without taking it off the clothes line I was able to ease the cover off one half and then over the line and off the other half. I then put the batting on the outer line so that I was able to spread it out and not crinkled along the "fold".

It didn't go completely to plan and I did have a small "accident". The corner of one piece did drag on the ground a bit and I had mowed yesterday and I don't use a catcher, so I did have to pick off some dried grass. I did it straight away so I knew it was done.

So I hope that helps somebody.

2. Thanks MSN, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to preshrink / pre-shrink / pre shrink batting

It really isn't necessary to wash & pre-shrink batting. Use it just as it comes out of the package or off the roll.

4. Thanks auntiemern, Sandy Navas thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!! I hope you enjoy your time here.

Personally, I don't pre-shrink my batting (I use an 80% cotton, 20% poly batting). But for those who do, I'm sure they will appreciate your experience with this process and how it went for you.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

6. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you made it work for you.

However, next time you make a quilt, don't wash your batting. It isn't necessary.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum! I always preshrink/wash my batting as I dont want the 3% shrinkage to happen the first time the quilt is washed. Plus, I like the slight fluff that comes in the dryer. I don't know if that extra fluff happens with line drying?

I used to live in Sydney! Castle Hill actually. One of the best chapters of my life!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

9. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to our Forum and thank you for sharing your process. Honestly I have never prewashed my batting but some people do. I like that all over crinkly look when the entire quilt is washed the first time.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone and thank you for the lovely welcome.

I preshrink everything. In my late teens (I'm 61 now) I made a really pretty top which I wore once and washed. It shrank and I ended up giving it to my boyfriend's sister who wore it as a dress. It was really disappointing.

No, I'm not planning on wearing my quilt but I wanted to preshrink the fabrics because they are different types (some are batik) and from various suppliers and I also wanted to check for running.

I also want my quilt to be flat, not have the crinkly look.

12. Thanks MSN, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing. I have never pre-shrunk batting and normally I don't pre-wash cotton fabric before I sew. I do pre-wash flannel because it usually shrinks a different amount than regular fabric. Different strokes for different folks! One thing I love about quilting is that we can all do our own thing.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I spritz my batting with water until just damp on both sides and then dry in the dryer. I like to decrease the little bit of shrinkage if I can. I also like the look and feel of the batting when it comes out of the dryer.
    Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Daisy Rae" - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2.