Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longarm thread question?

Can I load two threads at once and run them through the paces for a thicker thread appearance? Or a bicolor appearance? I have two spool pins on my machine, two eyelet holes at the first step through the threading process. Would it get tangled in the tension discs? Would the needle shred all that fiber? Calling all industrial longarmers with high speed machines!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Longarm thread question?

I haven't tried it, but I would be more worried about how the bobbin area would handle two separate threads coming down.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My thought is try it. I don't see why you couldn't, see we can use multiple threads at once on a domestic machine.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I personally would not try it. On the DSM, the thread goes through a twin needle, not a single eye. Why can't you use a variegated thread?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think the two holes at the beginning of the threading has to do with thread tension. I would be afraid as someone else said it would make a nest of threads when it was picked up with the bobbin thread. I agree with JCY, maybe try a variegated thread .

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I vaguely remember seeing a youtube video about using two threads to machine embroider on a regular sewing machine. You might do a search and see what you can find.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I have an HQ and when they came to set it up they said it was possible. I haven't tried it, but my thought would be that you CAN do it, you just have to do a lot of tension testing and adjusting before starting on the real quilt and make the test as close as possible to the real thing (ie. add some patchwork to make sure you don't begin to skip stitches over seam allowances).

You may have to work with a thinner top thread in order to get them both through with ease, and use a larger needle size to ensure the eye of the needle is big enough for both as well.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

How about a heavier weight thread? Another option is to quilt it twice, although this would be a total p.i.t.a. if done by a DSM. I had a friend who did this on her longarm and it turned out great.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was just reading a book by Angela Walters and she mentioned quilting with two threads. You could probably call her shop (Quilting is my Therapy) or send her an email for more info.