Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too many quilting ideas!

I have promised myself no more new projects til I finish UFOs. I'm ashamed to admit I probably have 20 quilts cut and started. 5 that need applique tacted down and 20 separate quilts that are ready for the long arm (I have a sit down so basting has held me up)....I hope others have the same story! Seriously though I'm going to finish them this year. Anyone else start quilts then see a new one and start another? Thanks for reading

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Too many quilting ideas!

Oh I tried that and I didn't like it. When I start one, I have to finish it even if I hate it. Nose to the grindstone and all that. Sometimes I have an idea and I go over and pull out fabric and books and get all excited but that motivates me to finish the one I'm working on so I can start another one.

3. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya. I have the same condition, see a video or a post and want to start a new project. What i have learned is to make one or two blocks, four at most to get an idea of wht the whole quilt will look like. By doing this I can satisfy the urge and really decide if i want to really make the whole quilt or even try new colors.
    So i still have a few (I won't say how many) UFO's but not as many as I would.
    Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same thing however, when I am making garments, I ALWAYS finish them. I think it is strange how I have gotten into this nasty little habit of seeing something I love, and then I start it, and well.....I have 8 UFO's presently.
    ( AND DO TO being ill for months on end.....well, of course the UFO's are staring me in the face each time I go to my CRAFT room!...)

LOL....Glad to know I am not alone in this!

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ladies and funny about garments, I always finish those lol go figure

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I finished four in the last couple of weeks. Gave myself permission to start a new one even though there are still many more UFOs waiting.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I have soooo many UFOs. I won't even confess to how many. I, too, see a new quilt pattern & want to try it, but usually I end up making the whole quilt top. I have many finished quilt tops just waiting to be sandwiched & quilted. The very first Jenny tutorial that I made was the Diamond Rail Fence, which I made from FQs in my stash. It turned out great ... but it's still waiting to be quilted! I have enough Friendship Star quilt blocks made for a large top, but they are not yet sewn together into the rows. I started a King's Crown (Donna Jordan's tutorial) but had to set it aside to meet deadlines for baby quilts for showers at church. Then I had carpal tunnel surgery in Jan. so all sewing/quilting came to a screeching halt. I'm just getting back at it the past month or so.

I wouldn't be concerned about UFOs. Just keep plugging along. They eventually will get done. I've been trying to discipline myself to quilt at least one before starting anything new, & alternate between piecing & quilting. Just enjoy the journey.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Think of it this way, it's easier to store unquilted tops, saves space and then when you need one you can finish it in a jiffy. Makes a good story anyway!
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

11. Thanks ncgrammie, Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm inspired by a pattern or fabric, I usually start a new project regardless of how many UFOs I already have. I free up the cutting mat and machine, and away I go!

A lot of my PHDs are simmering in artbins because I've reached some choke point like needing a big space and lots of uninterrupted time to do things like auditioning blocks in different layouts or basting a quilt sandwich. Sometimes I have to tell myself "just do it!" to get past my laziness about those things so I can move on to the parts I enjoy, like FMQ and hand finishing the binding.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a stack of finished tops ( embarrassed to say how many) on the bed in my quest room all they need is to be quilted. I have table runners that all they need is the binding. The two block of the month quilt tops that I finished are laying on the pool table.

When I first started quilting I would limit myself to 3 projects started at a time, that lasted about a year. All these unfinished quilts are actually what I am working on now. I keep buying fabric, its like a disease.