Light weight mesh-style quilting gloves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KS Farm Girl
    Prairie Pointer
    • Feb 2019

Light weight mesh-style quilting gloves?

Does anyone know if you can buy very light weight quilting gloves that are made of a mesh type fabric? My hands tend to get hot in gloves, even very thin cotton ones. I was hoping someone would be able to recommend gloves that would allow air flow, but still have some grippy on the fingers and palms. I normally just hold onto some non-skid shelf liner to control my fabric, but that itsn't always convenient either. Plus I am prone to losing them (set them aside and then put something over them). Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
  • Snip Snip
    Missouri Star
    • Sep 2014

Re: Light weight mesh-style quilting gloves?

I'm wondering if some rubber finger cots, or the things people wear on their thumbs to flip through pages fast, or even just the cut off fingers and thumbs of some rubber gloves would work. I use Machingers, and don't find them hot, but everyone is different.

Comment

• KS Farm Girl
      Prairie Pointer
      • Feb 2019

Thanks, I may have to give those a try.

Comment

• Mimi_Howard
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2016

https://www.fatquartershop.com/blue-...ng-grip-gloves https://marciabaraldi.com/products/grip-gloves
        If you use your palms more than fingers, then maybe something like the grip gloves would work.

just google finger grips for quilting and there are those fingertip rubber thingy's that were mentioned before.

Comment

• JCY
          Missouri Star
          • Jul 2013

I've noticed that Angela Walters is using a different type of quilting glove lately. You might e-mail her.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2012

Another possibility would be to skip the gloves altogether and use a quilting aid such as these three below.

Clare Rowley's Octi Hoop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3EPyYJQeKE
            Sharon Schamber's Halo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpmMYIDCrZw
            Martelli's Gripper Hoop (wait for a sale!!!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_8pO-w8_rY
            Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• chelea
              Missouri Star
              • Mar 2012

Michele
              ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
              To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• oldmanquilts
                Designer Diva
                • May 2018

If your hands still sweat in a light mesh glove like "Machingers" I don't what to tell you. I tried other gloves with grippers (gardening gloves, etc) and my hands did sweat. Switched to lighter mesh like Machingers- problem solved. Then it was time to save some money- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N2QVNFG...3-bfc8ab14b226

Ten pairs for the price of one. I like the cuffs better than Machingers. Only drawback is sizes. Only Machingers has gloves in X-Small, which fit most ladies a bit better.
                You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jun 2011

I love my machingers, I can put them on either hand, no matter which one I pick up it will work on either hand. I do not find them hot but we are all different.
                  Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• JCY
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jul 2013

I got a reply to my question to Angela's quilt store, QIMT. The gloves she's been wearing she found in France. Angela is hoping to become a US distributor. They had some in the store, but they sold out in 24 hrs. They hope to restock. Check their website to see when they're back in stock.

Personally, I wear Machinger's & have no problem with them making my hands feel hot or sweaty. I know they work on both hands, but I mark the cuff with a Sharpie for L and R.

Comment

• Murphy224
                      Applique Angel
                      • Feb 2016

I love the Grabaroos. They are light weight and very thin but not mesh. And they are also available right here at Missouri Star!

Comment

• oldmanquilts
                        Designer Diva
                        • May 2018

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                        I know they work on both hands, but I mark the cuff with a Sharpie for L and R.
                        My question is why? You lose three of the gloves four lives before it's laundry time. When the gloves become stained with dye-
                        switch hands. When that side becomes stained turn them inside out- switch hands again when required. Now you can wash them.
                        You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• VintageGalAnnie
                          Prairie Pointer
                          • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Murphy224 View Post

I love the Grabaroos. They are light weight and very thin but not mesh. And they are also available right here at Missouri Star!

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...g-gloves-small
                          Hi Murphy, I am looking for new quilting gloves - the Machingers large that I have had for a few years now never did fit me well - the cuff rides up onto the bottom of my palm rather than sitting at the wrist and is all stretched out now anyway. I am considering the Grabaroos - do you find that they fit well? I went on their website and measured but their measurement is only in width and my palms are longer than wide and I have long slender fingers too. Thanks for any help you can give!

Comment

• Murphy224
                            Murphy224 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            HI....I can't even find a size on mine and have had them so long, I don't remember what size they are. They are very very stretchy so if you get the size that best matches the measurement across your palm, they should fit fine. The fingers stretch out all around and in length too. I have had mine for about 8 years (I think). and they have held up extremely well. I just love them. Oh and they have the little "grippy dots" on both sides of the fingertips and are as "grabby" as they were 8 years ago. Hope this helps.

• VintageGalAnnie
                            VintageGalAnnie commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks Murphy, that does help! Just knowing they are true to size. My palm is 8 1/4 so kinda in between so maybe I'll go a size up. I have a hard time with fitting gloves. Mens' gloves are usually to big around but at least fit my long fingers, lol.
                            (hope I did this right - I have not been on much since they switched the format and am not used to how it works.)
                            ETA: aha - I did it right after all!
                        • tamsterg7
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2011

I'm with you! I use Machingers, and they are fine wxcept in the summer & then just too hot! I would love mesh body with machinger tips!

Comment

• Caroline T.
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jun 2016

The one's Angela uses are (or are similar to) Regi's Quilt Gloves https://www.brewersewing.com/c-1748-...ng-gloves.aspx

Comment

• VintageGalAnnie
                              VintageGalAnnie commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I looked those up in my research before posting here, but they were a little more than I wanted to spend. Tempting though...I like the design.
                          Working...
                          X