Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP April 5 - 11, 2019

Funny how it works, if you actually sew on something, it gets closer to being done LOL.

I've been working on "It was the 80s" and I am down to ONE block left (plus some pieced sashings that I'll do as I put each section together). I am so happy. I just wish I had a design space big enough to lay it all out at once to check the color balance throughout the top. I may have to move the couch and lay it out on the living room floor.

Hopefully everyone else is also having good stitching mojo this week. What's going on in your world?

2. Thanks Old Newbie, SuzanneOrleansOntario, kimsophia thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP April 5 - 11, 2019

I keep brick stitching the needlepoint strip. It's a no brainer as I'm inserting no design pattern, so it's just off white yarn brick stitched to a 65 inch length. I'm making it around five inches wide.

I have one daffodil blooming, some scilla siberica and my witch hazel shrub as well. It's a pity the witch hazel doesn't drop all the leaves so you can see the funny little spindly blossoms along the stems clearly. But it is easily my first shrub to bloom!

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I wish I could see the ground, even flowers. While the snow is melting, it is slow, probably 2-3' all over the yard. I'm guessing a lot more will be gone if we get double digits this weekend.

Yesterday I went to my sewing room, as I haven't had time this week to work on projects. Well I made a top. Granted it was a huge astronaut panel, about 40 x 80. I added a few borders to make it queen size. It's for my grandson who turns 6 in May and it will be reversible. The other side will be hockey theme, with Montreal Canadians fabric. Today I picked up a few more hockey fabrics to add other blocks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	158479 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	158480

I will probably work on that quilt tomorrow, or work on quilting the ribbon star. Depends how I feel after I wake up.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

6. Thanks threadbndr thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have really lost my mojo!! Nothing piques my interest so today I pulled out my fabric for Quatrefoil, it's one of those (in amongst) projects. I had already made the first block, so today I've made 3 more and have done all the 4 patches for the blocks - it will be 3 across and 4 down to make a lap quilt.

I think my real problem is that my DGS is due major surgery on his right foot on Tuesday. He'll be non weight bearing for 6 weeks, followed by more surgery and another 4 weeks in a walking pot. I'm not worried as such as I trust in the Lord to keep him safe but it's definitely on my mind.

Anyway, onwards and upwards as my mum used to say. Hope everyone has a good week.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I took a break from unpacking to attend the NWA quilt guild show. It is so much better to see the quilts in person.

Approx 1/3 of my new quilting studio is unpacked. Took me five tries to find the first stud in the wall to bolt the bookcases too. After that the rest was grinding through drilling and bolting. Another two weeks and I should be moved in and ready to sew.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I finally finished the matching baby and queen quilts for a client. The main thing I learned from that project is I really don't want to piece quilts for others. Don't really want to quilt for others either, to be truthful. Today I quilted a charity quilt for the guild. For the next several months they are running a contest where for every quilt that you quilt for the charity bee, you will receive a chance to win a $50 gift certificate to the LQS. Hopefully, it will encourage more folks to step up and quilt the donated tops. We'll see.

10. Thanks Old Newbie, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KarenC View Post
    I finally finished the matching baby and queen quilts for a client. The main thing I learned from that project is I really don't want to piece quilts for others. Don't really want to quilt for others either, to be truthful. Today I quilted a charity quilt for the guild. For the next several months they are running a contest where for every quilt that you quilt for the charity bee, you will receive a chance to win a $50 gift certificate to the LQS. Hopefully, it will encourage more folks to step up and quilt the donated tops. We'll see.
    Oh Karen, I understand and support your decision. While I made a quilt for my GF, it was work and stressful. What was to be a lap quilt became queen size. I was glad to finish it. Although I made stuff to sell, I hated when I had a special order. I think it might have been the deadlines I imposed on myself or by client. Now I make what I want, and if you like it, you can buy it, or its yours if I was planning on a gift. Having said that I just agreed to make a quilt for my GF's sister's 1st GC. I hope I don't regret it.

Our guild collects a lot of charity quilts every month, and everyone who makes one, gets a ticket per quilt, for a chance for a cash draw. We distribute to neo-natal unit, children's hospital, women's shelter, new Canadians and other groups.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
    Oh Karen, I understand and support your decision. While I made a quilt for my GF, it was work and stressful. What was to be a lap quilt became queen size. I was glad to finish it. Although I made stuff to sell, I hated when I had a special order. I think it might have been the deadlines I imposed on myself or by client. Now I make what I want, and if you like it, you can buy it, or its yours if I was planning on a gift. Having said that I just agreed to make a quilt for my GF's sister's 1st GC. I hope I don't regret it.

Our guild collects a lot of charity quilts every month, and everyone who makes one, gets a ticket per quilt, for a chance for a cash draw. We distribute to neo-natal unit, children's hospital, women's shelter, new Canadians and other groups.
    Suzanne, good luck with the baby quilt. I'm sure it will be amazing. I think that's a good idea of a ticket per donated quilt. It just puts an extra little incentive in there.

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I quilted my bf quilt yesterday. Today I'll be cutting binding to finish a quilt and strips for my bfs 2nd quilt..the illusion quilt. My back can't take sitting and sewing today so I'll be productive in other ways! I'm with you too, I don't care for custom orders either I found. My man gave me the idea to make baby quilts to sell and I think that's a fun idea since I really enjoy making them! Happy Sunday!

15. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post