• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PamelaOry
    Applique Angel
    • Jan 2019

So what is up with MSQC shipping?

It’s common knowledge everywhere that M* shipping takes forever and it’s not because they don’t get stuff out. (My last order was shipped the same day I placed the order.). Does anyone know why they are sticking with this carrier? It’s got to be hurting their business. I know I think twice about ordering from them because it takes so long to get here.
    Pam
  • nativetexan
    Banned
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2018

Re: So what is up with MSQC shipping?

sometimes businesses sign long term contracts to keep costs down.

Comment

• KPH
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2015

It's a contract thing. They changed to FedEx after the complaints about UPS. Hate to say it, UPS took better care of my packages than FedEx, but I wish they'd go with the USPS.
      Katrina
      From NC, retired in FL
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• shermur
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2013

I wish they would use USPS, too. I can receive on-line purchases from other soft-line companies (even Etsy) via USPS much faster than waiting for an order from M*. It should not take more than 10 days to receive an order shipped domestically within the United States?
        Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          Missouri Star
          • Aug 2015

Well as I have stated before, I am not impressed. I placed two orders on March 13 & 15. Kudos to M* as they shipped same day. Unfortunately the packages have been sitting in Newark, NJ since 18/3, which is where apparently they process international shipments. I tried getting more info by signing up for the FedEx updates. Nothing has changed.

It may be a very strong coincidence, but within hours of checking the FedEx package ref #, I received two emails from a bank I don't deal with, referencing orders (not the same #s). I didn't click on the link and junked the emails immediately. Unfortunately, my laptop started having issues within hours. I assume the Internet was slow. I don't use it often, but when I tried using it on Monday, my files started showing strange extensions. Yesterday I brought it to a computer expert. It seems my laptop has been hit with what is called 'ransom malware'. This is treated like the 'plague'. There have been a few of malwares in past few years where large companies have been infected and passed along. I have been advised to change all passwords. Here we go again! I certainly don't need to get hacked again.

I did write to customer service and got a nice response, indicating they are aware of the issue. The issue of shipping is once again being elevated and brought to upper management. This does nothing for me at this time.

Since I have already paid for my orders, I feel like my friend in Athens who was just pick-pocketed.

There may not be a cure for my quilting / fabric accumulation addiction, but I would be really stupid if I kept placing orders and expecting a different result.
          Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• auntstuff
            Missouri Star
            • Nov 2017

Perhaps that explains the issues I am having with my laptop too...
            She who dies with the most quilts is......
            Still dead.
            What's your hurry?

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
              Missouri Star
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by auntstuff View Post
              Perhaps that explains the issues I am having with my laptop too...
              I would have it checked out as well. It's pretty serious and sad if you loose all your data, photos.

Comment

• Carah
                The Guild President
                • Oct 2014

My packages have always arrived in a reasonable time frame. I also believe the carrier is different in each area, Fedex is better here than UPS (I receive them daily for work). Using a $5 flat rate shipping is what makes the difference here. IMHO

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                  Missouri Star
                  • Aug 2015

UPDATE: I received the March 13th order this morning. It arrived by Canada Post, maybe I will get 2nd order in a few days?

So I am going to assume, FEdEx shipment was turned over to Our postal service. This would have arrived quicker via USPS.

Comment

• oldmanquilts
                    Designer Diva
                    • May 2018

I keep hearing about this "contract" thing, and it being the reason MSQC is stuck with slow shipping until the contract expires. Nothing about this is true. The seller is free to use as many carriers as they choose, and will have a contract/agreement with each one. A shipping contract is simple- the carrier agrees to pick up and deliver goods per the terms of the contract. The seller agrees to pay the bill. That's it!

"Shipping contracts" are for the protection of the seller/shipper and insures that the service level is consistent with the needs of the buyers (us). I have never seen a shipping contract where the seller must ship ALL orders with a specific carrier.

In the case of the shipper it is far easier to manage using just one carrier. But to use the "contract excuse" is just plain lazy. There may be some problems getting carriers to be too enthusiastic about coming to Hamilton unless there is some "guarantee" of quantity on the sellers part. There's some easy workarounds if one really cares about customer service.

Here's just one example of what we use to do- The carriers (primarily UPS in those days) came for pickups mid-afternoon, and that was not negotiable based on the carriers schedules. All orders filled after the carrier left were loaded on our own van and delivered to the carriers location, which was open until 80 PM to accept outgoing packages.
                    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• The_Last_Unicorn
                      Batting Beauty
                      • May 2016

I hadn't considered how Hamilton's remoteness could be a factor in how fast packages get sent out. According to Google Maps, Hamilton is about an hour's drive from Kansas City, Missouri. If M* drove their own van to the carrier's location, that would add to their expenses a bit (labor, fuel, insurance). Maybe they already crunched the numbers to see if that is something they could do.

Comment

• K. McEuen
                        Super Moderator
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Carah View Post
                        My packages have always arrived in a reasonable time frame. I also believe the carrier is different in each area, Fedex is better here than UPS (I receive them daily for work). Using a $5 flat rate shipping is what makes the difference here. IMHO
                        As an example, Fat Quarter Shop has either $4.99 or $4.95 shipping, can't remember exactly, and they ship everything USPS priority. Orders arrive in 3 days or less, so the $5.00 flat rate shipping really shouldn't be used as an excuse
                        K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
                        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                        T - is it TRUE?
                        H - is it HELPFUL?
                        I - is it INSPIRING?
                        N - is it NECESSARY?
                        K - is it KIND?

Comment

• dwil23
                          Missouri Star
                          • May 2012

Nope. "Remoteness" Not the problem.

"Back in the day" all packages were sent through the Hamilton post office. There was a news story about the post office hiring more people to handle the load. I would receive packages 2 days after being shipped. For reasons, I will never understand, the powers that be switched to UPS Smartpost ("they have a much better network" was the official story). When that proved to be a disaster, they went to FedEx Smartpost and a worst disaster. I cannot believe that the discount they are getting justifies the business they are losing.

Also, Carah, the FedEx you get for work is not the same as Smartpost. FedEx you get for work flies everynight to its destination, just like USPS priority mail does. On the same plane. Yes, the same plane! Smartpost is loaded onto a semi trailer and is then given a tour of the country before getting to it's destination post office and being handed over to USPS for "last mile delivery".

I wish they would change things, but it has been made abundantly clear to me that they won't! I wonder how many postal employees in Hamilton lost their jobs over this?
                          Last edited by dwil23; April 6, 2019, 03:32 PM.
                          Donna

Comment

• jjkaiser
                            Missouri Star
                            • Oct 2013

This has been brought up over and over again on the Forum. I wonder, is anybody from MSQC listening? I would love to see an official (i.e. corporate) explanation of why they stay with a shipper that so many customers are dissatisfied with. I order almost everything from FQS. They usually get shipments out the door in 24 hours and delivered 3-4 days after I place my order. Their prices are almost identical and they also have a daily deal.
                            Jocelyn
                            South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• auntstuff
                              Missouri Star
                              • Nov 2017

I order used books monthly from Thriftbooks. They get sent USPS media, or whatever the slow one is, I get them from west coast in 5 days and shipping is free if I spend $10. They ain't getting rich on $3 books either. It takes 10 days to get a package from *M, less than 200 miles, they charge $5 to ship a $2 or less package, and they wonder why we cry?
                              She who dies with the most quilts is......
                              Still dead.
                              What's your hurry?

Comment

Working...
                              X