Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy forgot to add 1/4 inch to some part of the Blossoms and Stars block 1

Hi my dear experienced quilters...

I have a subscription to the Blossoms and Stars quilt. I finally have to de stress according to the doctor and since it's a day off, I was desperate to do at least one block. But I forgot to add the 1/4 inch for the first printed material, three blocks. I have to cut two more of the same size. Do I cut the remaining with the 1/4 inch or do I just ignore the 1/4 inch for the whole quilt. I believe there are 6 blocks to sew.

Anyone done this very quilt? HELP waahhhhh

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: forgot to add 1/4 inch to some part of the Blossoms and Stars block 1

If it is a pieced quilt (not applique) the instructions should include the 1/4 inch. Have you sewed the 1st 3 blocks together yet? Did they come out to correct size.

3. Thanks Janine.d thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: forgot to add 1/4 inch to some part of the Blossoms and Stars block 1

It isn’t appliqué. I haven’t sewn it as yet.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Me personally...reread the instructions to make sure they say to add a 1/4 inch for seam allowance. If the instructions say to do so then recut the ones already done and make sure to add the 1/4 for all pieces from this point forward (even if that means writing on the pattern in red ink).

Omitting the 1/4 inch for the rest of the quilt might work, but probably won't, and you will end up disappointed and really frustrated when your blocks don't come together properly.

Many kits (and hopefully block of the month kits too) provide sufficient fabric for some "oops". If not, the kit provider will gladly sell you a bit more fabric if your short.

6. Thanks Old Newbie, grammaterry, Janine.d thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ask me how I know that Caroline T is right. I have gone ahead and made mine with the mistake and "no" it won't go together correctly

8. Thanks Old Newbie, Janine.d thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

grammaterry... it's a good thing you know what I feel!!! I think I will stop and go to block 2 and add the 1/4... then reorder block 1...

THANK YOU CAROLINE AND GRAMMATERRY

10. Thanks Caroline T. thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure you are suppose to add a 1/4 inch? I don't think I have ever made a quilt that says you have to add a quarter inch to the given measurements. Maybe contact MSQC to ask them. I can see having to add to applique but not given measurements

12. Thanks Vonnie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The instructions should include the cutting sizes. Did you do that? You should not have to add 1/4 inch.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

14. Thanks Janine.d thanked for this post