Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Setting on point help

Every time I try something new to me I gain more appreciation than ever for all the beautiful quilts you turn out every day. I am making little 2 inch 9 patches and the instructions say to lay them out on point. I put 3 rows together and was not happy with the results so I ripped them apart. I wish I had thought to take a picture before deconstructing. Each row needed a triangle attached to both ends of the row. There is only one way to attach the triangles, that would be with the bias towards the outside edge and the straight edges sewn to the 9 patch blocks. The edges looked so wonky (to me) and I don't see how that could be right. They weren't lined up at all, not quite a zig zag. I am considering other layouts more in my comfort zone but would like to first try this one more time to see if I can get it right. What am I doing wrong? I don't want to repeat the same mistakes but I can't wrap my head around this whole process. I thought it would be easy but it's not! Any advice??

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Setting on point help

For setting triangles you cut a square in half in both directions from corner to corner. That leaves the straight of grain on the outer edges. Bonnie Hunter has a chart for sizes to cut on her quiltville site. The corner triangles will be squares cut once in half corner to corner.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are supposed to add 2 squares to each next row and I was just adding 1?When they were laid out on my mat they looked fine but wonky after I sewed rows together. I took them apart at the ends and added an extra square on each row, then sewed on the end triangle piece, and now they are all pretty even. So why don't the directions tell you this lol.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Joycelyn, The only time I've ever got on point right was by mistake so my advice is worthless. I wasn't trying to make my quilt on point and it just happened.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you figured it out! Sometimes, you just have to step back and try again.

I've made several on- point quilts, I think Cozy Quilts tutorials give the best descriptions on how to lay them out.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Do an internet search on "setting quilt blocks on point". There are a lot of hits, including YouTube videos. Blueprint has an item from the blog with a formula. It's by Sherrie McConnell on Aug. 13, 2013:

Measure your block size. Multiply by 1.414 and add 1.5" Round up to the nearest 1/8". If you want plenty of "wiggle room", add another 0.5 to 1" after you've figured the formula.