Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Texas Trivia

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Texas Trivia

Not Star Lover but here's some trivia

There’s one Texas ranch, the King Ranch, that’s bigger than the entire state of Rhode Island.
    There’s a windmill farm that’s about seven times the size of Manhattan.

Texas is filled with tiny little towns that boast awesome names. If you can’t afford a European vacation, just hop in your car and drive through Paris, Athens, Naples, London, Dublin, and Florence, Texas. There’s even a town called Earth in the plains of Llano Estacado—and it’s the only town on the planet to bear that name.

Texas has its own pledge of allegiance. Students are required by state law to recite both the American pledge of allegiance and the Texas pledge every morning. Here’s how that one goes: “Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible.”

The U.S. has three power grids: One for the East, one for the West, and one for Texas. The continental U.S. is served by three separate power grids: The Eastern Interconnection, the Western Interconnection, and Texas. It all has to do with the state’s commitment to avoiding federal regulations. According to the Texas Tribune, “In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Federal Power Act, which charged the Federal Power Commission with overseeing interstate electricity sales. By not crossing state lines, Texas utilities avoided being subjected to federal rules.”

Texas still owns all of its public lands. If the federal government wants to create a park or cut a stand of timber, it must first ask the state’s permission. If the state really wanted to—and if there is one thing about Texas we all know it’s that Texas does as Texas wants—they could split themselves into five different states without the need for Federal approval. Not to mention that, at its current size, the state is actually larger than every single country in Europe.

Emily Morgan (also known as Emily D. West), an African American indentured servant, is the subject of the song “The Yellow Rose of Texas.”

Slaughter, Texas is proud to have never once had a homicide in its history.

In 1968, someone buried a time capsule containing a passbook with a $10 deposit to a bank account, expecting a serious payout in the future. How serious? An expected $1 quadrillion when it is to be opened up in 2968.

It’s illegal to sell or buy a bodily organ, to dust a public building with a feather duster, to milk somebody else’s cow, and to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel. And you absolutely cannot let a camel run loose on the beaches of Galveston. On the other hand, it’s totally legal for you to shoot and kill Bigfoot if you happen to see him out and about.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Texas Trivia

Texas has its own pledge of allegiance. Students are required by state law to recite both the American pledge of allegiance and the Texas pledge every morning. Here’s how that one goes: “Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible.”
    I grew up in Texas and not once did we ever say this in school
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Verry interesting. Especially about the forethought of establishing their own power grid. I l ove it.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I got to visit the King Ranch, years ago.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hey! How else can a camel keep his tan color if he can't run around on the beaches?

Gina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, him and the bigfoot

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Fascinating. I love that they created their own power supply.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Texas really doesn't seem to like the federal government!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Texas A&M in College Station has their own nuclear reactor. I can't remember if they use it to power parts of the school or if it is part of the science buildings.I am thinking they do use it for power though.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Same for me. Never heard of it. It must be one that has been on the books for ever.