Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It isn't square

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: It isn't square

If you've already basted it to the batting and backing, it's probably too late and would be too much work to undo. If it's going to be used and loved, then I agree with the others, just leave it.
    But for future reference, may I ask how you sewed on the borders? I suspect you sewed them, then trimmed them to be even with the edge of the quilt. This is a common miss-step and will almost always result in a non-square quilt. Here are instructions for how to accurately measure, cut, and sew on borders for a square quilt.
    https://www.shopmartingale.com/image...lt-borders.pdf

2. Thanks justLyn thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Dewey, Arizona (transplanted Hoosier from Hobart, Indiana)
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with everyone ... it is a beauty ... quilt it and let it be loved!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have that precut too. I think it is Charlotte. It is pretty busy, but at least the colors and patterns are coordinated. When you use your new precut, if you are still put off by its busy-ness, you could try separating the fabric out by color groups, ie, the blues and greens in one pile, the pinks and yellows in a different pile, and then find a solid that goes with the pink pile, and a solid that goes with the blue. That is what I have to do sometimes when the over all effect makes my eyes hurt. And, unlike how I have done it, the best color to use may not be a matching blue, or a matching pink. One of my first "experimental" quilts was of Kaffe Fassett blues. I used a matching turquoise to blend, and unfortunately the whole effect was …..unnerving. It never got sent to the intended recipient. Still packed away, awaiting for someone who can appreciate its unique appeal, lol. Perhaps someone whose vision is worse even than mine.

Your baby quilt is darling; perfect just as it is. Enjoy that grand daughter! What fun for a sewing grandma!

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

It's beautiful just the way it is because it's a gift made with love. Congratulatons!