Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default I may be in over my head on this next one......

Several months ago, I was chatting with my Cousin who lives in Florida. She was telling me about a quilt top her Grandmother had made before she passed away more than 25 years ago. She told me that the quilt was huge and heavy, hand pieced with just random scrap fabrics. Mind you G-Ma’s health was declining due to diabetes complications. G-Ma eventually lost her eyesight and apparently still worked on this scrappy quilt totally by “touch”.

Of course I offered to finish the quilt for her. I expected it to be wonky, and lumpy, with seams that might need to be redone, and also forewarned her that I may have to trim off some if it wouldn’t fit on my 10ft frame.

Well the quilt top finally arrived yesterday. OH BOY, yep it’s huge, I don’t think it would fit even on a 12 ft frame much less my 10 ft one, and on quick inspection I did find a few seams that will need to be re-sewn. Wonky and lumpy?! YIKES. Let’s just say I know what side is getting trimmed off!

And here’s the kicker, Cousin didn’t tell me that the entire top is made out of 1970’s double knit fabrics! Can you say “Stretchy in all directions”? I think this is going to end up being a long term project that will get picked up and put away frequently.

If anyone has any experience, tips, or resources to offer me regarding working with double knits, I would greatly appreciate it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I may be in over my head on this next one......

Sounds like something that you should return with regrets that you can't finish it. Double knits are double trouble. I do hope someone has a solution for you, though.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Can you tie it instead of quilting? It would fit with the wonky of the quilt. Could you offer to cut it into smaller quilts so that each child/grandchild could have a piece to remember GMA by?
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

4. Thanks Deegles, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My grandmother made two double knit quilts that came to me. Heavy isn't even the beginning of it! They were monsters to have on the bed!
    Anyway, she tied them! That's my suggestion. I can't imagine trying to quilt it, not even in the ditch!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

yep, tie it all up and send it back with love.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh I would love to see a picture of that quilt! I am always in awe of people with vision impairment that soldier on and make quilts anyway. I can't imagine how difficult that would be. I have two good eyes and two good hands and oh the mistakes I sometimes make, and I have no excuse!

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made a twin size out of double knit (cringe) when I was in high school. It weighed a ton. BTW, I tied that one.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As Laura and others have suggested, I would tie it. I like the idea of making it into smaller quilts for grandkids.

Send it back, quick.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My grandma made me a quilt with those fabrics when I graduated from high school. She backed it with flannel, and I am pretty sure there is no batting. She tied it...would your cousin be happy with that?
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, in defense of old ladies and quilts everywhere, here is a picture of a quilt my MIL made for us many years ago. Double knits, single knits, corduroy, velvet, you name it, she used what she had and was more concerned with color than content. The backing is a woven (chintz?) with a 6" border of bright single knit in rainbow colors. Envelope finish and quilted in the ditch on her home sewing machine. It has a thin poly batting, and doesn't seem all that heavy, although we do live in the mountains in the northwest and like our quilts to be warm. We have used and loved this quilt for over 30 years, and the only sign of wear is one thin woven that is starting to deteriorate and tear in spots. I love this quilt, and the memories it inspires of a sweet, color loving, free thinking, and creative lady who lovingly made it. Quilts are an expression of the maker and don't have to be of $12 quilting cotton to be beautiful and treasured. Maybe it's outside your ability, maybe not, but don't discard it offhand - think outside the box first, in honor of Gma. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	158327
    If you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.