Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What does mauve look like?

Jenny's big star baby quilt is easy and impressive looking.
    or this one https://www.favequilts.com/Quilts-Fo...all-Baby-Quilt
    Last edited by LauraP; March 25th, 2019 at 08:12 PM.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well thanks for the flashback to the avocado/gold appliances, carpet & other nightmares. Now I can't get my brain back to thinking about mauve, lol. You guys crack me up & I have to say your minds travel the same highway as mine. You DO remember the original question don't ya? LOLOL!!

I'll go back & look at the samples of what mauve looks like. Callie may just get a grey & pink quilt.

Thanks again for a laugh. Sure needed it today.

Gina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, color me a happy girl! I've ALREADY got some mauve & don't have to buy any!! YIPPEE SKIPPEE!!

Gina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mauve is as described a pink with gray undertones. Not for me. Never was.

I had the harvest gold appliances and washer/dryer. Same price as white, but that was boring then. My SIL had the brown-red colours. Even worst than green.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Suzzanne, nothing is worse than green. I couldn't wait for it to go away.
    What about Burgandy color for the mauve? Maybe too dark though.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, come on, guys, that avocado green wasn't all that bad. Our house was built in 1972. I had an avocado K. range & sink as well as living room carpeting. Our bathroom still has the harvest gold tub, sinks, & commode. (I'm not giving up my 4 gal. toilet tank unless I absolutely have to.) I really liked my K. range. It had extra chrome along the sides that helped protect the enamel. The only reason I got rid of it was b/c the oven element went out. Since DH was at the stage he no longer could do home repairs, I figured I'd apply the cost of the service call & a new element toward a new stove. Just about the time I was planning on replacing the carpeting, kitchen floor vinyl, etc., DH's health took a downward turn, & he can't tolerate any disruption to his daily routine, so all upgrades & projects were put on hold.

Mauve is not so bad either. I had a request from a new mom who wanted pink, grey, & white; those colors went well together.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love green but that avocado on a daily basis? Nope, but I love avocados, lol. I will probably do a pink, grey & white. I like those colors & it won't make my eyes glaze over.

Thanks everybody.

Gina

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Do a Google image search for mauve, then show the results to the niece and ask her which "mauve" SHE was thinking of.

I have a very good reason for recommending this course of action. Years ago when my SIL got married, her aunt said she'd make a wedding quilt and asked what colors SIL liked. SIL replied "earth tones". She was envisioning blues, soft grays, sandy tans, sage greens, forest greens... you get the picture. Aunt made a Lone Star with solids of dandelion yellow, grass green, chocolate brown, orange, and fuchsia on a white background. SIL sadly thought it horribly ugly and stuffed it into a closet for 30 years. She only recently pulled it out and put it on the spare bed.

I realize that "mauve" is a bit more specific than "earth tones", but you get my point.

9. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Being a real "color person" I find it interesting how color trends run in cycles, too.

That being said - back to the original question:

I would suggest that you ask for "samples" of exactly what colors she has in mind. Pinks can run from peachy pinks to orchid pinks. Grays can be from brownish grays to blue grays and every other tone in between. Mauve can range from a rusty mauve to a purplish mauve. If she could supply samples - paint chips work great! - that would be your safest bet.

Good Luck and show us what you come up with!
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Explaining color... I just found "How to Choose Colour" by Karen Brown from "just get it done quilts" on you tube. She has only posted part 1... I am so color challenged and she explained Hue, Tones, etc... interesting. Puts a new look on what the primary colors are.