Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weighted Quilt

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weighted Quilt

I made this weighted quilt for a co-worker recently diagnosed with throat cancer. A group of us from work went together on the cost of the fabrics and poly-pellets. Everyone signed the label (Pentel Gel roller for fabrics). I wanted the quilt to weigh 15 pounds but must not have weighed the pellets correctly so it came out weighing 10 pounds. It is still rather weighty. The size is 58" x 76". This coworker loves golf so I found this nice golf fabric from Spoonflower. The backing is grey minky, making it more manly. Tip: I bought a 1 3/4" lightweight plastic tubing from Lowe's and used that to fill the columns with the pellets. Worked like a charm.

I found this info on weighted quilts/blankets:
    Lying under a weighted quilt feels like getting a bear hug. It promotes feelings of security and safety. This is called "deep-touch pressure stimulation" or DTPS.
    On a brain chemistry level, this type of stimulation can release more oxytocin, serotonin, and melatonin while decreasing cortisol levels.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	golf fabric.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	158307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greg's quilt.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	158308
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Weighted Quilt

What a great gift. I never thought of doing one for a hug with chemo. I know it helps with autism comfort. Does each square have the beads? My honey is doing chemo and he has a horrible time with staying warm. I could do one of these instead of layers of quilts on him.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I really like this quilt. I made one for a nephew with Autism and it's a real labor of love for sure! I wasn't ready to jump into another anytime soon when it was finished. Well done!
    ~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi_Howard View Post
    What a great gift. I never thought of doing one for a hug with chemo. I know it helps with autism comfort. Does each square have the beads? My honey is doing chemo and he has a horrible time with staying warm. I could do one of these instead of layers of quilts on him.
    Oh it definitely helps with those going through cancer treatment, especially chemo as chemo has anxiety side-effects. The weight ration is 10% of body weight for the quilt. Yes, each square is filled with the poly-pellets. The minky on the back helps to not feel the actual pellets through the fabric and it's so soft as well. I used this tutorial from Rob Appell which helped a lot. https://mansewing.com/tag/weighted-blanket/
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh what a thoughtful friend, coworker, human being you are. I think this is a fabulous idea and will be loved more than you could ever know. Your quilt turned out just terrific. So comforting to have something soft and warm on the back too.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful quilt I am sure it will provide much comfort during this difficult time!!!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

What a great idea, beautiful work!
    Pam

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for posting the link. I will check to see how much pellets I have left from a making one of the frogs recently. I have made him various size rice filled heating pads that he heats up in the microwave.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for posting the link. I will check to see how much pellets I have left from a making one of the frogs recently. I have made him various size rice filled heating pads that he heats up in the microwave.
    My local Joann's had them in 6 pound bags. I used coupons.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mimi - the group I volunteer with, makes quilts for patients undergoing chemo. The blankets are regular tops, but the back is flannel, batting is 100% coton, or 80/20. Recipients have said this kept them warm.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.