Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quiet Books. Any creators here?

I am giving thought to creating a quiet book .
    https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki...Quiet_book.jpg

Do any of you create them? Any words of wisdom?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quiet Books. Any creators here?

I'd never heard of quiet books before. What a great project! Please keep us posted on your progress.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

3. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Now that you mention it, I have one I started about 13 years ago. It was an alphabet book by Sew Baby. Maybe I'll have it done by the time my daughter has kids. I also have a pattern for a Christmas themed one.

I'd finish it for our son's daughter, but my DIL lets the pets use the kids things. Their cats are currently using a pillow I made as a bed in the cat condo. The dog has turned several stuffed animals into shreds, and the last set of photos had the dog on a quilt I made. While I expect the items I make for the kids to be used, I don't expect them to be turned into pet beds and toys.

The pages I did get done include a bunch of different textures. If you are using silky materials, I'd suggest an interfacing to give it some stability and fray check the edges. Check the specialty fabric and faux fur section for fun fabrics. I used plastic/nylon zippers. If it has laces, make sure to stitch them down at some point for safety and to keep them from getting lost.

Good luck!
    Last edited by toggpine; March 23rd, 2019 at 01:24 PM.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

toggpine, great suggestions!!!

7. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have an alphabet one I made 35 years ago. Very time consuming and I wouldn't sell it for anything. Mine was all cotton fabrics. I used a satin stitch around each applique and fusible to put things in place. If you use fusible, be sure to use a light weight. my book is very heavy for a baby to pick up.

9. Thanks Old Newbie, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My sister and I made quiet books for our four kids one summer. It was so much fun since we did it assembly line style. We had birds that were connected by ribbons to their nests, bear with vests that had laces. The children are now in their late 30's early 40's but they still have their books.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

11. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did one a few years ago. one page had shapes with felt ones to match (stick with velcro), put them in zipper pouch on opposite page for not losing. Did some grommets in strip of ribbon and sewed down and then laced like a shoe string. Quick drawn fabric face (used fabric markers) and sewed down yarn for hair that was braided. Sewed down horizontal strips side to side and then just on top for vertical ones so they could learn to weave over and under for basket weave look. Flower pot with the flowers having a button hole, one button (super secured down) that the flowers could be put on, learn to button and unbutton. Did the alphabet letters with small velro pieces on back, then on one page sewed long strips (horizontal) across the page. Learn to spell 3 or 4 letter words. Did a pumpkin with the eyes, nose, mouth being different shapes (velcro on felt) so they could make silly faces on pumpkin. Made barn with opening door and felt finger puppets were inside the door. All simple velcro closures.

13. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The busy books I have made included snaps, zippers, lacing like others have mentioned.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

15. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I can see these take a lot of detail work, but they are also so so cute. Thanks!