Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Binding on a serger

I had an idea pop into my head on one of my insomnia driven early mornings, and for the life of me, I can't get it out. I spent the weekend researching it and have not been able to find anything anywhere about it. So I have to ask....
    Has anybody ever put a binding on the front of a quilt, turned it to the back....and finished it with a coverstitch machine?
    In my head, I think it could look really good, especially if I used decorative threads. I've seen the looper side of a coverstitch used as a decorating technique on quilts....so why not to finish a binding?
    Please chime in and let me know if this is feasible or just one of my weird ideas that needs to be scrapped.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Binding on a serger

I think it is a great idea! I have seen decorative stitches for binding before - check this out on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...yped&term_meta[]=decorative%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=stitching%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=on%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=binding%7Ctyped
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Binding on a serger

I put binding on with my serger but since I do not have a coverstitch machine I finish them by hand. It gives a nice even edge to the quilt. Sometimes I finish with a decorative stitch with my DSM.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop