Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with Color Choices?

hello -- I'm going to make a quilt for my God-daughter as a wedding gift. I love the 9-Patch Madness pattern that Jenny has a tutorial for, but I'm a bit uncertain about color. My God-daughter is sticking with neutrals for now, though to the warm side rather than cool, so I'm thinking tans & browns.

There are several beautiful choices in your charm pack collections, and the quilt pattern calls for 4 packs of colors and 4 of solids. I'm thinking cream for the solids, but not as confident for the colors. If there's not enough contrast, it truly will be a disappearing 9-patch! ;o) Here are the ones I'm partial to: Coffee Cafe 5 Karat Gems, Chocolate & Cream Batiks, Flower Garden Gatherings, and maybe Shimmer Dragonfly Moon Tranquility Chips. I'd love Brew Charm Pack, but it's out of stock . . .

What do you think? I'm open to suggestions! Thanks for your time to read & reply. ~diane

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with Color Choices?

Is it crazy to reply to your own post? It's just like answering your own questions, right? I'm not crazy, honest! ;o)

I just found Brew in both layer cake and fat quarter . . . that might solve my issue. I realized what I didn't point blank ask was the thought of combining charm packs from different color collections and how that would work with this quilt pattern. More appropriately, are the hues the same across the groups I listed above. Online comparisons can be tricky, maybe it's wiser to stick to one set.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dianast! Welcome to the Forum. No, you're not crazy to reply to your own question. We all do it at some point or another.

As for mixing different fabric lines, it can work, and I've done it more than a few times. For example, if I win a charm pack, I usually like to add at least one more to make a bigger quilt. It's always safest to go with the same manufacturer and even the same designer. Then again, I needed a border once, found several fabrics that could work, ordered one, and it was a perfect color match. But I was definitely taking a chance.

The Brew layer cake, for example, would give you the equivalent of four charm packs. Jenny often mentions this in her tutorials. The Fat Quarter Bundle is less easy to determine; Fat Quarter Bundles vary in that you get precisely one fat quarter of each of the fabrics in the line. Ten fabrics, ten fat quarters; six fabrics, six fat quarters. But a layer cake gives you roughly 3 yards of fabric, no matter how many different fabrics are part of that line. You'll just get more doubles and triples if there are fewer fabrics in the line.

Let us know what you decide!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

4. Thanks Dianast thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!

Sometimes, working things through when you're typing makes you slow down and think about what you're asking. No worries!

I was going to suggest a layer cake, but you've already thought about that.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

6. Thanks Dianast thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am the exception to rules of matching. I find that I hardly ever use a complete line to make a quilt. I don't enjoy the same print in different colors and find it annoying when two of the same print, different colors end up next to each other. I almost always prefer to do my own choosing and blend in one line with someone elses.

8. Thanks Dianast thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! It's good to hear from all of you -- I'm a newbie to the quilt world have made some smaller ones (for my niece's babies), am about to embark on some more grown up sized ones. This is rapidly becoming an addiction . . . I didn't think about the fat quarter being limited by the number of fabrics in the line -- thanks for that clue! I'll check back soon, but I think I'll grab the layer cake, cuz it will provide just what I need for this 9-Patch Madness pattern.