Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default I got a new machine!

My local dealer was having a 40th anniversary sale and during the final hours Saturday they had a amazing deal on a Babylock Presto 2. I saw the add on Facebook for $200 off, hopped in the car and made it to the store about 20 minutes before they closed. I left with her in the box! I LOVE this machine!! I’ve been sewing on the Sophia 2 for about 7 years and it is a great little machine. I was just ready for an upgrade. Now, I’ll get Miss Sophia her annual cleaning and hopefully I can find her a new home on eBay or marketplace. I’ve never tried to sell a sewing machine before so I’m hoping it’s easy, quick and she gets a new home soon.

Just wanted to share my news! I have had my eye on this machine for awhile and this week it all worked out!
    Last edited by Ltoppins; March 19th, 2019 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Typos

2. Thanks Yanna, sewbizzy, SuzanneOrleansOntario, TMP, Carlie Wolf, KPH thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I got a new machine!

Congratulations on your upgrade! That sounds wonderful.

I just sold a Janome 11000 on eBay. I was surprised by the fees that I had to pay: 10% of the purchase price, 10% of the shipping fee, and roughly 5% in PayPal fees. If I had to do it all over again, I'd take more time trying to sell locally. I ended up selling for $300 more than my "bottom line," but my take home was about $150 below my "bottom line." In other words, on a local sale, the buyer could have paid less and I could have pocketed more.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    Congratulations on your upgrade! That sounds wonderful.

I just sold a Janome 11000 on eBay. I was surprised by the fees that I had to pay: 10% of the purchase price, 10% of the shipping fee, and roughly 5% in PayPal fees. If I had to do it all over again, I'd take more time trying to sell locally. I ended up selling for $300 more than my "bottom line," but my take home was about $150 below my "bottom line." In other words, on a local sale, the buyer could have paid less and I could have pocketed more.
    This kind of makes me feel even badder for the screaming deal I got on my Bernina 830QE.....it was half what the stores here are selling them for, plus free shipping! And that was just for the machine...I also got the embroidery unit, so that was basically a freebie!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

5. Thanks Ltoppins, sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yepper, watch out for those fees! They can be a disappointment in the final price you get. Shipping is also a bit hit; really find out what it costs. I sold one of my Featherweights, but to protect her the box I had to use was certainly enough to make sure she arrived in great shape. Cost me double what I had asked for in shipping. Not that I didn't make a reasonable profit for a machine I wasn't using, but a bit of a surprise. Suggestions: pack it yourself and make sure you follow some recommendations like those out on the Featherweight shop's site (doesn't have to be a featherweight). UPS and FedEx are supposed to be the best deals after 1# weight, but they both work on dimensional weights. My package didn't weigh 24#, yet I had to pay for 30 due to the dimensional weight. I had them box it which cost me another $9 in supplies. Also, it depends on which zone it is going to....mine from PA to Texas, so that played a part. I'm downsizing so I have sent out stuff that I've sold, but nothing as big as that Featherweight. I did try to sell it locally, but I didn't put it out on Craig's list; I don't want folks coming into the house that I don't know. And it is not recommended by law enforcement. Lots of for sale sites. See if the quilting guilds near you will post it......or maybe you belong to one. Etsy, I am told, takes less of a percentage. Good luck!
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

7. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your new machine!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

9. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy many happy hours with your new machine. Thinking perhaps many of us spend more time with our machines than spouses/significant others. I sure can be guilty about this during long winters.

11. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Dewey, Arizona (transplanted Hoosier from Hobart, Indiana)
    Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy your new machine!

13. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

You might try your local guild. I have done this successfully before. I have also kept a machine before rather than selling it. That way I always have a backup.

15. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations. Enjoy it!!

17. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MHG Winnower View Post
    Yepper, watch out for those fees! They can be a disappointment in the final price you get. Shipping is also a bit hit; really find out what it costs. I sold one of my Featherweights, but to protect her the box I had to use was certainly enough to make sure she arrived in great shape. Cost me double what I had asked for in shipping. Not that I didn't make a reasonable profit for a machine I wasn't using, but a bit of a surprise. Suggestions: pack it yourself and make sure you follow some recommendations like those out on the Featherweight shop's site (doesn't have to be a featherweight). UPS and FedEx are supposed to be the best deals after 1# weight, but they both work on dimensional weights. My package didn't weigh 24#, yet I had to pay for 30 due to the dimensional weight. I had them box it which cost me another $9 in supplies. Also, it depends on which zone it is going to....mine from PA to Texas, so that played a part. I'm downsizing so I have sent out stuff that I've sold, but nothing as big as that Featherweight. I did try to sell it locally, but I didn't put it out on Craig's list; I don't want folks coming into the house that I don't know. And it is not recommended by law enforcement. Lots of for sale sites. See if the quilting guilds near you will post it......or maybe you belong to one. Etsy, I am told, takes less of a percentage. Good luck!
    I hear you. Fortunately, I have a friend who works at my local UPS Store, so I felt free to go ask for an estimate. The buyer wanted me to throw in free shipping, but the estimate was $184, so I told the buyer I couldn't do that. I charged him the $184, but in the end it cost me $196, so I ate a tiny bit there. Amazing what a bit of extra packing material added to that cost, eh?
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

19. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post