Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lets talk about privacy

My deceased husband nickname was Dub. My daughter did call and they said it was a matter of the sender's privacy and would not tell her.

This all just make me think that I have too much personal information about myself on the internet.
    Last edited by TMP; March 18th, 2019 at 10:35 PM.

2. Thanks grammaterry, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I thought when just lurking and not a member you could not see profiles and notes of members
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

4. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
    I thought when just lurking and not a member you could not see profiles and notes of members
    Good point.

6. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

While we're talking about privacy, it's good to periodically go through Facebook settings (if you're on FB) to make sure privacy permissions are up to date. Facebook is notorious for making changes. I have mine set to share with friends only, not friends of friends. You'd be surprised what people make public on FB.

8. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they’re a member who isn’t active, just reading posts but not participating. Would that be a lurker?

10. Thanks grammaterry, auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, I hate to sound like a broken record, but I, too, am really worried about this meeting. Please take all precautions! Make sure you call or text DH or DD before you leave the restaurant. Set up beforehand that you will call them five minutes after you leave the restaurant, too. Then, before leaving the restaurant, set up your phone so that you can just hit the call button—it's not good to try to dial while driving. Do not sit in your car doing these things, that's the time women are most vulnerable. Also, make sure that Location Services are turned ON in your cell phone.

In case the lovely lady who called you is reading this, please, Lovely Lady, join the forum and tell us all that we're being silly. Post a few pictures of your quilts. Make yourself real to us. You don't ever have to post again, but you would make a lot of us who care about Terry feel a whole lot better. I'm sorry if this insults you, but the way you approached Terry has set off alarm bells for many of us.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

12. Thanks grammaterry, bubba, Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Fran View Post
    Good advice. Make sure someone is guarding your home while you are away...just in case.
    This is an important comment. It's a sad world when we have to be so concerned about every phone call, every person who just wants to be a nice person, etc. However, it's true that we need to remember that there are some "not so nice folks" out there. I used to be in research, and I can tell you, I can find out more info on one person that you can imagine. Maybe not all of it is valid, but if I were a perpetrator, it's enough to do damage. Take care all of you. I am not a paranoid person, just extremely careful and when something doesn't sound or feel right, it usually isn't!
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

14. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Ithink that is true. That's why the google search. And of course, I made some real boo boos in public posting that would make it really easy to have gotten my name and address. That's why I posted here to put everyone on alert.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I want everyone to realize that I was not creeped out about her calling me. We had a nice visit and I was honored that she wanted to be friendly. It was only after I got off the phone and started rerunning it in my mind that I thought it a little creepy to look so hard for me. Then, the more I thought about it and analyzed my thoughts I questioned my own judgement. I am really honored that you are all worried about me. Its still a few days a way for our meeting and after the meeting, I have several meetings, appointments and stops to make that I am expected to be. For sure, I will let you all know about our lovely new friend and perhaps I can convince her that she would enjoy our company eachmorning

17. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, take care and stay safe. If it feels icky leave immediately. We all care.

19. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post