Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lets talk about privacy

I understand exactly what you are saying. Having worked at 911 for ages, I am probably overly paranoid. Have I ever met people off facebook? Yes. Have I met people from here? Yes.

You can ask Dolores how nervous I was the first time I went to the retreat. I was being picked up at the airport by someone I only knew thru here, and yes, I was sure I would end up dead in a ditch somewhere!! When I landed, not only was my ride there, but Dolores (whom I had only spoken to on the phone) was there as well. Now I had two 'strangers' to deal with! Obviously, it worked out well because I am still among the living!

This last year, Dolores and I went on a road trip together that lasted ten days and then I was at her house for a week afterwards. MM asked before I left if we would fight or get tired of each other, and I told him I didn't think so. That entire time, we had only one argument and it had to do with my missing luggage and the stress from that. I think it lasted all of five minutes, we both cried, then were fine. If it hadn't been for the luggage problem, we would not have argued at all.

But yes.....meet in a public place and make sure others know you are doing that and give those people all the information (name/phone/etc) about the person that you can.

Oh, and have fun!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, grammaterry thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

JJ doesn't want to scare you Terri but I do. Have you ever noticed that people say the nicest things criminals such as oh we thought he was so sweet and wouldn't hurt a fly. Then they find out he is a serial killer. Scam artists are truly artists in telling lies and getting you to trust them. Phone scammers will give you callback numbers but to a partner in the scam, Online scammers have phony accounts. At the very least could you ask at your police station if this might be a common thing happening now?

4. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my...all the thoughts and I am so loved by all of you. I am certain that my new friend is reading this and I hope that it comes up in conversation. I'm thinking that it might be something we can laugh about and iron out. Regarding asking the sheriff...no...there are two counties between us. She lives a long way from me. Regarding someone being at my house, DH is always home when I'm not and vice versa. Our gate is locked if we go away and our neighbor on ourdrive is the nosy neighbor that doesn't let anyone he doesn't know come up the driveway which is a half mile long. Not to dwell, but I rarely meet anyone I don't like and it has happened to me 4 times in my life that when I meet someone that seems wrong, I back away. On three occasions I thought I was being silly and tried to get to know the person. Of course they were conning me and I learned to trust those instincts.
    My DD married one of those 4 people and I still don't trust him. He or perhaps they have tried to scam the other brothers and sisters and I have warned them off. Maybe not a nice thing for a mother to do but protect the innocent is my theory.
    We will meet and I will tell you all about this. I'd love this to be an acquaintance that will make both of us filled with joy and interests that we can share. If it doesn't feel good, it is over.
    I just hope we can all take away something from this discussion that will make us all better people and realize that we do have to be vigilant in protecting ourselves.

6. Thanks LLLinda, Caroline T. thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it works out good for you Terry, but please proceed with caution.
    Quote Originally Posted by LLLinda View Post
    . Have you ever noticed that people say the nicest things criminals such as oh we thought he was so sweet and wouldn't hurt a fly. Then they find out he is a serial killer.
    What Linda brought up here actually happened to us several years ago. We had a farm worker who was smart and quiet and seemed like a good fellow. Later we learned he was the infamous Railroad Killer...yes, a serial killer. You just never know.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

8. Thanks grammaterry, Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Privacy issues is the main reason I've never posted my full name & address in my user notes. I am not on facebook or any other social media except this one. I'm careful about what I post, not using any of my family's first names, although most people now know my first name. Only a few know my full name & address.

Terry, I hope your meeting goes well. I know you live a long ways from town & social opportunities. I hope this meeting will be ok. I'm feeling ambivalent about it. Let us know how it goes.

10. Thanks cv quilter, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, I feel the same as you do. I posted my real name and address in my user notes when my husband passed away and people ask me to post it. I just deleted it. The lady is probably just someone who has read about your good work for the Shriner's and has seen all the beautiful quilts you have made and thinks you would make a wonderful friend. I think the way things have changed and people now find friends because they share the same interest in nice, but myself I don't know that I could go through with the meeting. Have you considered having your husband or someone else go with you? Just be careful, please.

I also find it really creepy that she hasn't made a profile and spent the time to find your phone number using the information here.
    Last edited by TMP; March 18th, 2019 at 09:03 PM.

12. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

DH hates going into town. Traffic. And, MIL (who is my usual companion ) is recovering from her pacemaker implant. I think a restaurant is a pretty safe place at lunch time. Its a small parking lot on a busy road. I cannot be unkind and back out on this lunch date. That would hurt my feelings if I were her. God will ride with me. Glad you deleted your addresses too. I even went so far as to delete my state and town.
    Quote Originally Posted by TMP View Post
    Terry, I feel the same as you do. I posted my real name and address in my user notes when my husband passed away and people ask me to post it. I just deleted it. The lady is probably just someone who has read about your good work for the Shriner's and has seen all the beautiful quilts you have made and thinks you would make a wonderful friend. I think the way things have changed and people now find friends because they share the same interest in nice, but myself I don't know that I could go through with the meeting. Have you considered having your husband or someone else go with you? Just be careful, please.

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This I am sure has no connection to any of this and I haven't said anything to anyone here about it and maybe I shouldn't. On Valentines day flowers were left at my front door. This is the note that was left with them. I thought at first they were from my son or daughter. I sat and cried, then I wondered if you are my friend why can't you say who you are. My daughter found it creepy and my son said someone is doing a good deed. Reading your post made me think of this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3902.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	158212

16. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMP View Post
    This I am sure has no connection to any of this and I haven't said anything to anyone here about it and maybe I shouldn't. On Valentines day flowers were left at my front door. This is the note that was left with them. I thought at first they were from my son or daughter. I sat and cried, then I wondered if you are my friend why can't you say who you are. My daughter found it creepy and my son said someone is doing a good deed. Reading your post made me think of this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3902.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	158212
    That note is creepy! I probably would have called ProFlowers and tried to find out who sent them, although they probably wouldn't disclose that.

18. Thanks grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

but who is DUB.
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenC View Post
    That note is creepy! I probably would have called ProFlowers and tried to find out who sent them, although they probably wouldn't disclose that.