Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Make a "Rose Garden" Quilt with Jenny Doan

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Make a "Rose Garden" Quilt with Jenny Doan

I'm watching now and already slightly confused - I always thought it took an extra 7/8 inch to make a 2-per-square HST, but Jenny made hers with two 5 1/2" squares and still ended up with a sliver to trim off to make 5" HSTs.

Am I remembering the HST method wrong or is there something I've been doing wrong?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

If you listen closely she says to use a scant 1/4 seam from the center line when you are sewing them. So in essence, she is slightly less than 1/4 from the center line on both sides. That is how she managed it. Personally I always add a bit extra (like the 7/8) to make sure they are large enough. I don't trust myself to be as exact as she is.
    Debbie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

By the way - I really like this quilt. And I love the way she brought the one block out into the border. This one goes on my ever expanding list of quilts I want to make.
    Debbie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    I'm watching now and already slightly confused - I always thought it took an extra 7/8 inch to make a 2-per-square HST, but Jenny made hers with two 5 1/2" squares and still ended up with a sliver to trim off to make 5" HSTs.

Am I remembering the HST method wrong or is there something I've been doing wrong?

You add the 7/8 or 1 inch to the finished size you want. So in this case, The finished size will be 4 1/2 inches or 5 inches unfinished

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would add the 7/8 inch, so my squares would be 5 7/8" before I turned them into HST's. I see no reason to cut it so close by making them 5 1/2" as stated in the video. Doing so is sure to mess up some folks blocks and add to the waste of material and time.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a neat pattern but what was she thinking, the fabric she used is really awful.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also usually cut my squares 7/8" wider than the desired finished size for HSTs. It gives one some "wiggle" room. I liked the charm pack fabrics & border, but wasn't keen on that dark blue. I have too many other patterns already on my bucket list, so I won't be making this one any time soon.