Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here I go again-what mid/longarm to buy? Help!

Since I was unable to get one for Christmas, I am now on the hunt for one for my b-day in August. There were some good points on some machines before but I couldn't find the right ones. I really don't want a sit-down because I basically have one with the Jazz. Would love a stitch regulator but who knows? I'm going to the quilt show in Pigeon Forge Tennessee next week & will do some looky-touchy then. What would you recommend the most important features for you?

Thanks,
    Gina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Here I go again-what mid/longarm to buy? Help!

Local product support (not long distance or over the phone) Personally I think that is the most important feature
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

3. Thanks Vonnie, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I agree DeniseSm, due to somewhat local support, the BabyLock Regalia is on my radar. Going to a quilt show this spring and hope to get a deal.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Throat space. Decide what size you think you need and then add 4". Not even kidding.

Get the biggest table you can fit in your space. You can put a baby quilt on a 12' frame, but it is darn hard to get a king size on a 10'.

Try them all and see what feels good to you. It is like buying a car....they are all nice, but what *I* like isn't going to be what *you* like. I quilt one handed so it is very important to me to have it move easily. I also quilt very fast so I need a machine that goes very fast. A friend of mine has been longarming for many years and she quilts very slowly....machine speed isn't as important to her.

I don't quilt for customers so a computer isn't very important to me. I'm tall and don't have shoulder issues so I don't really need the hydraulics or auto advance. I might regret that in 10 years or so

Really think about it like buying a car.....yes those extra features are nice, but will YOU use them? Personally I have never once opened my sun roof, in fact, I forget it is there. Same with satellite radio. Doesn't mean they aren't great features that someone out there loves, just not worth me spending the money on.

All of the machines are pretty similar in what they do and what features they have. You just have to decide which one feels right for you, what features you think will be helpful for you and your situation and what your budget is. If you have an extra $30k laying around, you can get a fully loaded model and figure it out as you go. (And also, if you do, can I have some money please?). If you don't....find out what features can be added later if you are on the fence about them. How much extra would it cost to add them later if you decide you really really want that feature?

Back to the car analogy....don't be pressured into buying RIGHT NOW because you will lose that great deal. They will have other great deals and they aren't going to sell out. It is hard because you really really want one, but stay strong, stay within your budget and add 4" to your throat space.

Happy shopping!

6. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you've been FMQ already & feel comfortable with it, a stitch regulator is not necessary & only adds to the total cost. My Baby Lock Tiara II is a table model with a 16" harp. I have no room for a stand-up frame. (Pics in my Sewing Room album.) I've been very satisfied with my machine. Absolutely -- local support & repair availability is a must, even if you pay a bit more up front for the machine.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done any FMQ yet. Scares me to think about it, lol. I am an in between speed sewer. Sometimes fast sometimes not. I was thinking about stitch regulator that adapts to MY speed whatever that is. And I've been thinking that with knee problems, back issues won't get better should I still consider longarm? I wish I'd gotten bitten by the quilting earlier in my life. I just feel if I can't quilt....well it just depresses me something awful. I can't even clean my house the way I used too.

Well, enough of the pity party. If I can find one in my "price" range, well, we'll see.

As usual, you guys are top notch in the info,
    Gina

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post