Default Re: New and puzzled

Welcome from Arizona
    bjsmith57

2. Thanks Mmichellew1 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, from Northern California.

I'll share with you something that I do to save fabric when I'm in the "figuring it out" stage. I use paper and a stapler, cutting my paper to the size I would cut fabric, and then stapling in !/4" seams. Trial and error on paper in the early stages saves a lot of fabric!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

4. Thanks Mmichellew1 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mmichellew1 View Post
    Shermur,
    See here is where I am confused. I was thinking ten inch squares cut into four pieces should yield 4, 5 inch squares. So where does 6.5 inches come in to it?
    I have 12 fat quarters, and had decided to cut my squares 9 inches and use those instead of ten inch ones. But then I don’t know what my squares should “square up” to.
    You are sewing "two" squares together. You aren't cutting just one piece of 10 inch square fabric.

Part of the confusion is changing out fabric sizes and then having to adjust the directions. Yes, it can be done but it is easier to use the 10 inch pre cut or make them from your fabrics. You can use the fat quarters but you will need more of them. There will be strips left over than can be used for sashing or the quilt borders.

Welcome to the boards!

6. Thanks Mmichellew1 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The purpose of squaring up your blocks is to make them all the same size so they will work well when you sew them into rows. I know that when I make HSTs using the method you are using that no matter how careful I am I still need to do some trimming (squaring up) to get them to be the same size. Sometimes I just have to trim off a sliver, other times more.

8. Thanks Mmichellew1 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome to the forum from Michigan. Sew happy you’ve joined us.

Attachment 158115

10. Thanks Mmichellew1 thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
    Welcome to the board. One thing to remember is that Jenny is sewing 2 10 inch squares together then cutting them up, they would only be 4 1/2 inches each if she were working with one square, but she is using 2 so the square footage is doubled, which gets her to 6 1/2 inch pieces with extra to spare. Clear as mud?
    Ohhh yes! You found my puzzler! I was thinking one square, nottwo. Last night I found my ugly fabric and cut it up, then sewed. My stitch lines were so crooked! Who knew it would be so hard to sew a straight 10 inch line? And how do you find 1/4 inch on your machine? My Janome starts clear marks at 3/8ths. My goodness Jenny makes this look so easy. I felt like a contestant on Nailed It!

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I tried the junk fabric (is there really such a thing?) last night and it helped a great deal. However now I’ve learned that my 1/4 inch measurement is incorrrect on my sewing machine and I cannot sew a straight line. The plot thickens! IF I hadn’t spent $100 plus on fabrics I might just decide that quilting isnt my gig.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Draw a line on your fabric if you have to. A seam guide is avalable for most machines, as are 1/4" feet. You might need to slow down a bit and be very cautious to begin with but it will come with practice. Don't give up, it does get better.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You keep the right side of your presser foot lined up with the outside edge of the square you are sewing. Keep them lined up all the way around and your sewing line will be straight.