Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Orange Ginger Cookies (alternate Lemon Ginger Cookies)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup shortening (I use Crisco)
    1 cup packed light brown sugar (cassonade)

1 egg
    1/4 fancy molasses
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    2 tbsp grated ginger
    2 tbsp orange juice or 1tsp Orange extract

2 cups all purpose flour
    2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground allspice or cloves
    1/2 tsp salt

1/4- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, as needed
    Grated orange rind (I make some every time I peel an orange, freeze on parchment paper, then put in Baggie in the freezer until I need it).

- Heat oven to 350 degree. I line several cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
    - In a large bowl, add shortening and beat at high speed until fluffy. Add brown sugar, and beat until fluffier.
    - In a small bowl, break egg, add molasses, fresh ginger, vanilla and orange extract/juice. Beat and add to large bowl.
    - In a 2-cup measuring cup, I add flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice/cloves and salt. Mix.
    - Add half of dry ingredients to batter, mix with wooden spoon. Stir in remaining flour and stir until no streaks remain.
    - Scoop dough by tablespoon. I use a smaller ice cream scoop and roll into balls. Roll into sugar and place on cookie sheet 2" apart. Flatten with a fork, add grated orange (or not) and top with a bit of sugar (or not)

ALTERNATE RECIPE - Lemon ginger cookies. Change orange to lemon extract and grated lemon.

At this point, you can bake or freeze cookies unbaked. I usually make several batches of cookies, and I freeze the cookie pucks individually on parchment paper in freezer. When solid, I transfer to a storage container, for future use. It's great when you want cookies, but don't feel like making a mess.

- Bake for 10-12 mins until flattened and browned. Remove and set aside to cool. Makes 48-54 cookies. Enjoy.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

2. Thanks chelea, Star lover, quiltingaway thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Orange Ginger Cookies (alternate Lemon Ginger Cookies)

Suzanne,
    thank you so much. Just need to get some ginger root. I'm sure we will enjoy these. Kathy