Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default What a scary afternoon!

My dd lives about 30 miles from Rockford, IL. Today she got a text msg from her daughter's school that the school was on lockdown for an active shooter situation, parents to be updated as soon as more info was available. For 30 terrifying minutes the parents did not know if the shooter was inside the school. My GD is only 6 and I could only imagine how scared those kids must have been. My dd is 3 months pregnant and she was practically hysterical. I live 2 hours away so nothing I could do from here. It turned out that the active shooter was never inside the school, but the result of police serving a warrant on a man in the next town. The man shot the U.S. Marshal serving the warrant then hopped in his car leading the police on a high speed chase going over 100 mph and going thru the town where the school is. They eventually arrested him but the Marshal died. The school was on lockdown for only about an hour. My dd said the children did not know, they were just told they coukd not go out for recess and had to stay inside their classrooms. I am not criticizing the school, I am glad they took these extra precautions. But it was so scary for the parents (and this Grandma) to be fearing the worst that there was a shooter inside the school. Isnt it crazy that we have to worry about stuff like this.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What a scary afternoon!

At the beginning of this school year my GD was telling me about the new bell system installed at her school... elementary school. Seems the new sounds are for lock down and kids are to be quiet and hunker down. They have drills too. They now have separate sounds for lock down vs recess vs fire drills, etc.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Prior to retiring, I put several schools into lockdown. I'd say at least 50 times. Of all of those, only one was for an active incident at a school. All the others had to do with someone they were looking for in the area, tracking with K9, etc. The schools, here at least, are so well trained as to what they are supposed to do in those situations, that it goes well.

I'm surprised the school sent out texts/emergency messages. In my opinion, that should not be done. It only encourages parents to start showing up at the school and that is the last thing that needs to happen. If you ever get a call about your kids school going into lockdown, stay put....don't go to the school. They know what they are doing and will take care of your children.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We had lock down drills quite often. There were only a few times it was a 'real' lockdown because of things happening in the area.

One of the last lock downs we had was during 'story time', right before lunch. I was reading, and heard the helicopters over head. I told my assistant to go ahead and lock everything down. She looked at me like I was nuts, but she closed the blinds and locked the outer door and the classroom door. About the time she was done, they announced we were having a lock down. It was a bank robbery two blocks from the school.

The best was a lock down drill with the school system security team. The monitor didn't make it up to our building before the lockdown was called, my assistant locked her out! She came in, motioned for me, and told me she was probably in trouble. The lock down lady was standing on the ramp with her note pad in hand and no way to get in to check anything out.

I'm glad everything was alright at your grandchild's school. The best thing is to let the school do what they're trained to do.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

6. Thanks bubba thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Scary indeed. Glad it turned out okay for the kids. I have never been in that situation and hope to never be either.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sad times for sure. Thankful the school took precautions, but seems they could have not scared the bejeebers out of the parents like they did. A message more like there is a active shooter nearby so we are locking the school down would have been more appropriate.

Just this last week I have been training a new coworker in my department. We work inside a secure area with only two exits and elevated above the main floor. I pointed out to him where we have already discussed would be our hiding place should we hear shots in the building. Sad that you have to even think like that.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It is indeed a scary situation for everyone. Thankfully all turned out ok for the children, and not traumatized.

It is sad time for the loss of life and Marshall's family.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think this terror thing is just getting out of hand. I'm sorry that your daughter went thru such anxiety caused by people who really enjoy drama. That text was not appropriate on any level. There either is an active shooter or their isn't. I think we should all remember the story of the little boy who called wolf.
    Terrible things have happened, but we need to stay focused and let God come into our lives. If there is a problem, sure, we should be told, but we shouldn't thrive on all this negativity.

11. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Many, many years ago when i was working in Houston, our boss had fired a fellow employee. there was a back elevator and stair case. we always worried he might come back that way. Never did. but someone did come in and steal a large wall television from the break-room without being spotted.
    I have white hair now so i don't have to worry about going gray with worry. My youngest granddtr goes to school in Santa Fe in South Texas. I remember getting down on the floor in grade school and putting my hands over my head. lot of good that would have done. but I still remember that. today our children will have much more to remember. hopefully better memories will push those away often enough. (())

13. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I taught for over 21 years in an inner city school district. We frequently had lockdowns because of an incident in the neighborhood. There was a code that was given over the loud speaker. Although my classroom door was always locked, the door itself was most often open. All I had to do was walk over and close the door when that announcement came. Once in awhile, depending on the incident, there was a letter sent home, after the incident, that explained what had happened. Most of the parents knew when something was going on in their neighborhood. For many reasons, not just this type of incident, teaching has become a dangerous job.

Nancy