• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beeje
    4 Patch Pro
    • Mar 2014

Gift wrap ideas for baby shower quilt

Hello quilters! In a few weeks I'll be traveling to a baby shower for which I am making a quilt. The invitation requests that instead of a greeting card, each guest bring a book that's "signed with your thoughts." I've already chosen a book and am mulling over what to write.

Just wondering whether anyone can share ideas for gift wrapping the book and quilt together? I'm hoping to come up with an out-of-the-box way to present the gift. If I have enough fabric left when the project is done I could (possibly, depending on time constraints) make a tote or basket. Or maybe there is some sort of small, easy toy or decoration that I could make to decorate a traditional gift box.

Any suggestions? Please note I'm an intermediate quilter and have virtually no other sewing skills, hence the need for easy projects.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
  • Caroline T.
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2016

Re: Gift wrap ideas for baby shower quilt

For the book, you could make a simple notebook cover (would be extra special if you have any left over fabric from the quilt)

Free video tutorial on making a paper notebook cover as well as an electronic notebook sleeve. I'll walk you through the math of making this easy and quick ...

Comment

• Astatoo
      The Guild President
      • Sep 2017

I often "wrap" a baby quilt in a receiving blanket. I have made baby quilts and presented them like this just tied the blanket around the quilt and tied with a pretty ribbon.

Beth
      Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Comment

• JCY
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2013

I give my baby quilts in gift bags. Dollar Tree has a big assortment of large gift bags, which are only $1. It's been a long time since I've gift wrapped a present. Bags are in these days. I usually put some of the light weight paper in the top to hide the item.

Comment

• MHG Winnower
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Astatoo View Post
          I often "wrap" a baby quilt in a receiving blanket. I have made baby quilts and presented them like this just tied the blanket around the quilt and tied with a pretty ribbon.
          I use this method as well and generally wrap it in one of the super easy self-binding baby blankets by you know who! https://www.google.com/search?client...eiving+blanket For quilts I give to adults, I generally create a bag to store them in when not in use. Might be nice to do for the baby quilt and book so they can be carefully put away. I'm pleased to say that the baby quilts I have given generally still reside in the child's room being loved and used like they are supposed to be, though.
          “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
          “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• amartin24
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2014

I recently made a baby quilt for my friend's son and dil's shower. Funny, they also received books instead of cards which I think is a fabulous new trend. I got this really cute box from Joann's and the quilt fit so nicely inside. No wrapping needed and the box is actually another gift they can use to store things in the future. quilt box_3837.jpg
            I am Sew Blessed!
            Alina

Comment

• Bernina2
              The Guild President
              • Oct 2014

I make a pillow case using the same fabric as the quilt
              or the backing fabric. I fold the quilt inside the
              pillowcase and tie with a fabric strip of the quilt fabric.
              Although the baby won’t use the pillowcase for
              several years they will have a match to the quilt.
              This also saves a trip to find paper/bow.

Comment

• sydneybean
                The Guild President
                • Feb 2010

I have also made pillow cases to match or made a bag. Store bought gift bags are a blessing!
                Giving a book instead of a card isn't a new trend around here. I know it has been done for at least 10 years around here , if not longer
                So. Illinois just south of St Louis County

Comment

• nacsaodan
                  Shiny Thimble
                  • Aug 2021

Have you considered a special baby hat as a gift?A funny paradox: teenagers, and often adults, refuse to wear a hat so as not to spoil their hairstyle, but in the end they achieve exactly the opposite effect. Due to the cold, the pores narrow, the blood supply, and with it the nutrition of the hair deteriorate. As a result, we get dull brittle weak and lifeless hair. To protect my baby from this, I bought a hat with https://www.amazon.com/Personalized-Baby-Newborn-Customized-Gifts/dp/B07PG9Z5X4/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B07PHGWGZW&th=1&psc=1.
                  Last edited by nacsaodan; June 11, 2022, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X